Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mark Knapp

Where's steeldrifter at?

I talked to Steve on the phone a couple of days ago.  He had a major melt down of his computer.  Had to buy a new one and is in the process of setting everything up.

Mike, I'm thinking of having my kid buy a storage box of some kind. I'm basically computer illiterate and can handle only the most basic things on them. He's way ahead in the game and I'm thinking of things like happened to Steve and having him store all the stuff on my computer on a storage disc. If I had a meltdown and lost all my bookmarks, pictures, and passwords I'd be a cripple trying to get going again. Just buying an updated machine a few years took me a month to know where things were at and use it again. I'll have to talk with him. Something to buy and setup before the kids find out retired people get those stimulus checks too.

1 hour ago, mikechell said:

I talked to Steve on the phone a couple of days ago.  He had a major melt down of his computer.  Had to buy a new one and is in the process of setting everything up.

Alright, thanks.

Storage devices and discs are no less susceptible to not working than a PC. You need the cloud. I'll never buy another PC. I strictly use my iPad for my interweb experience and leave my PC solely for work. iPads do not get viruses, they always work and I have had zero issues with them. PC's on the other hand have to have their virus protections meticulously and consistently maintained yet they still get all screwed up. If your simply messing around on the internet an iPad is hands down way more friendly and easier to maintain to the less tech savvy. In fact, you will not need any help from anybody to maintain it because there is really nothing to do. Dump the PC and get an iPad. You won't regret it. 

Glad to hear All is good on the Steve front, other than the aggravation of a broke PC. 

I think we’ve all gone thru that over the years.  Good luck.   I was amazed to learn Steele doesn’t have a smart phone.   Like a puter in your pocket.   And Apple stuff are tough against invasions  but ereybody gotta have Windows....

Storage?

I use ZipDrives among other places for pics, etc.  SD cards these days have a ton of storage too.  These are kinda old, small storage, but I plug the one into my iPhone and update.    The other two are USB.  I don’t save documents but you can.   I try to keep about 900 pics on several devices.   The ones on iPhone SPOSED to be on ICloud    Got bunches on FB, postimage.com, photobucket but haven’t load there for awhile.  Can’t use it as hoster w/o paying.    I try to delete some often that aren’t worth saving to keep the number down.   My daughter has gobbs of us on an IPad also.  She likes the camera on it and uses it more than her jazzy camera.  

4A6271F5-899B-4CAA-9AA1-64C7D82B8F62.jpeg

I back up everything PC to the cloud on two sites and a 3 TB plug in drive...  My system has survived about 5 crashes.  Been totally restored twice since 2014.  Lost very little data and one hour of pro tech time had me running ... Still PITA

I have full-size, remote wireless keyboard to use with IPad and I phone if projects require major keystrokes...

With thumb drives, you can store most modern computer's entire memory on one stick.  If you are a serious data hoarder, you can get a terrabyte hard drive now.

I don't have a smart phone, either, Denduke.  I spend too much time on a computer for work and at home ... I don't need one with me all the time.  Regular flip phone with no extra features.  My phone is a ... phone!

24 minutes ago, mikechell said:

My phone is a ... phone

Can you still buy those? 

I feel naked w/o my pocket knife nowadays Google maps for directions, answer any question in the world, stay up on friends and family, screen shot anything, check stocks, email, calculator, on and on.   I guess y’all satisfied missing all this.   Custom laynard to keep from dropping in my tea, commode, overboard...

Quick example.  I walk 3/4 mile back in the Delta woods to a remote slough.   Use the phone to guide me and figure out what tree to set up my duck decoys by in the dark.   😳

9E8BD50F-DF2C-4FFB-989F-5588F8DC0181.png

A28A47D6-5EC4-4D24-BB34-7A320ECCF10D.jpeg

I learn how to use a paper map and a compass when I was 6 or 7 years old.  Hone my skills through the years.  I'll admit that I am comfortable using my GPS in my car, since driving and map reading are ... anti-productive.  But when I am fishing, or camping ... I am disconnected.  I still take it with me, in case of emergency, but I rarely even have it turned on.

I could still buy one a couple of years ago ... I hope I still can when I need to replace this one.

That's the same one that I use Mike, and the batteries have never died.