Fly Tying
flytire

May Flies From the Vise

14 minutes ago, Mogup said:

Nice Royal Flat Rock.

I would be very happy with it but the kudos go to Landen, and the boos go to me for not deleting Landen’s photo when doing the quote.  Will edit, and thanks for posting Landen

My bad !   Shout out to Landen !  Nice fly dude !

1 hour ago, Landon P said:

I was thinking the same thing. I took the lazy way and used a hackle I had laying around next time I will use more effort. Thanks for the kind words!

and I would grease the post only so it rides low and make the Brookies dance

It will fish great the way it is, but earlier comments about bushier collar definitely apply to an index fly.

I just posted this in the 'Classic Stealhead Fly Swap' thread recently hosted by DarrellP, but I thought I wold also post it here also.  These are the flies tied by the participants, not me.    Beg pardon if the rules prohibit posting this twice.   

IMG-20200508-091747b.jpg

Edited by niveker
clarity

Nice niveker !  What’s a New England boy gonna do with all those steelhead flies ?

17 minutes ago, Mogup said:

Nice niveker !  What’s a New England boy gonna do with all those steelhead flies ?

LOL, thats exaclty what my daughter said when I show them to her.  I'll probably put keep them for inspiration on my tying desk.  I actually prefer smaller brooks and streams when fishing.  

My variation on the Dark Spruce. I took out my last streamer hook and I say to myself "Hmm. What do I tie with this?" Wood duck tail, floss body, oval tinsel rib, peacock, tie in woodchuck underfur bundle, more peacock, tie in squirrel tail, more peacock, tie in brown hackle wings, tiny bit more peacock, jungle cock eyes, dubbed copper head. It's nothing much, but it's an achievement for me because I don't tie many streamers. Mark Knapp/his friend's care package included some streamer materials, so I thought I'd try some real streamers. What I want to do next time is add some more beard between the dubbing and the peacock, maybe some gray or black squirrel tail slanted back to join with the woodchuck underfur, since the front of the belly side looks a bit naked. Also I should have definitely tried to get the JC to lie more flat, but I kind of like the effect. It'll probably sort of flick back and forth a little in the water.

IMG_9854.thumb.JPG.795212c61a04249b8557d7fb947b7a5a.JPGIMG_9855.thumb.JPG.dbbfc42f66b1d3a44adb096246c2de97.JPGIMG_9856.thumb.JPG.2677a4eff023b1464fcf5af0fc6138ca.JPG

58 minutes ago, Mogup said:

Nebraska boy living in Wyoming is about as far away from Steelhead waters as you get in lower 48.

These are going in a beetle killed pine frame, and, then placed in a prominent spot in the living room.  Trophy bride of 42 years will permit my decorating, even she likes these-a lot.  Won’t even complain for not putting them in the art gallery for $ale, like some of my other “good” stuff....

Playing with the chukar Flat Rock native sent. The quill slip wings are chukar tail. The caddis was just for something different

PHOTO_20200507_200044.jpg