Fly Tying
flytire

May Flies From the Vise

32 minutes ago, RexW said:

For Memorial Day

Brilliantly done.  Excellent work and a nice tribute.

🙂🙂🙂🇺🇸. Very very nice Rex.  Happy Memorial day !

A waste-less, trim-less synthetic fiber bait fish pattern. This one is 7 inches long.

DSCF5408-X4.jpg

Here it is dry.

DSCF5410-X4.jpg

Here it is wet.

The problem with synthetic streamer hair is that it isn't tapered, so to get a tapered, fish shaped fly, you need to taper the fly. Natural fibers are tapered so tapering the fly isn't necessary but the length of fly you can tie with it is limited to the length of hair you can get.

While watching videos I could see that a lot of the material was being wasted during trimming, the trimming can take a little while to do and it's not easy for some tiers to get the shape they wanted. Streamer fibers can be expensive and to throw a bunch of it in the trash seemed silly to me. This is EP fiber but even if you're tying with a less expensive fiber throwing half of it away is such a waste.

The other thing I like about this fly is, the eyes ain't coming out of it.

I'm going to tie up a bunch more of these and test them in the salt next week on some very toothy critters.

I spent the weekend doing household chores I had been procrastinating on so I didn't get much time to tie many flies. Below is two days worth of tying. Both are deceivers - a pattern I am working on but have not perfected.

20200525_162606.jpg

20200524_114057.jpg

12 minutes ago, Mark Knapp said:

A waste-less, trim-less synthetic fiber bait fish pattern. This one is 7 inches long.

The problem with synthetic streamer hair is that it isn't tapered, so to get a tapered, fish shaped fly, you need to taper the fly. Natural fibers are tapered so tapering the fly isn't necessary but the length of fly you can tie with it is limited to the length of hair you can get.

While watching videos I could see that a lot of the material was being wasted during trimming, the trimming can take a little while to do and it's not easy for some tiers to get the shape they wanted. Streamer fibers can be expensive and to throw a bunch of it in the trash seemed silly to me. This is EP fiber but even if you're tying with a less expensive fiber throwing half of it away is such a waste.

The other thing I like about this fly is, the eyes ain't coming out of it.

I'm going to tie up a bunch more of these and test them in the salt next week on some very toothy critters.

With all that soliloquy, how did YOU do it without any waste? 

45 minutes ago, mikechell said:

With all that soliloquy, how did YOU do it without any waste? 

Well, I'm going to show you. First, I like to tie a few more so I can perfect it a little bit. There's nothing I hate more than a guy doing a how-to on something that's new to him. I'll do an SBS after I've tied a few. Or maybe a video. I got your attention though didn't I 😁😄. And where do you get off using those big, high falootin' words... "Soliloquy"? I thought you was just a bare foot, back country fisher-boy"😋

6 minutes ago, Mark Knapp said:

Well, I'm going to show you. First, I like to tie a few more so I can perfect it a little bit. There's nothing I hate more than a guy doing a how-to on something that's new to him. I'll do an SBS after I've tied a few. Or maybe a video. I got your attention though didn't I 😁😄. And where do you get off using those big, high falootin' words... "Soliloquy"? I thought you was just a bare foot, back country fisher-boy"😋

😄
It's called Distance Learning, video to follow.

I also appreciate someone who has practiced a bit before posting
a video but on the other hand it's free and no one is holding a gun to my
head to watch the video.
 You can really see someone who knows their stuff when they tie.
There is just a smooth elegance by the way that they tie.
They make it look easy even though it isn't.
Watch Charlie or Stalcup.  Having been commercial tyers they
had to be efficient in their movement.
Look Rim he is just smooth as ice when he twists that dubbing to form a perfectly
segmented body on his RS2.

Kimo

5 minutes ago, Kimo said:

😄
It's called Distance Learning, video to follow.

I also appreciate someone who has practiced a bit before posting
a video but on the other hand it's free and no one is holding a gun to my
head to watch the video.
 You can really see someone who knows their stuff when they tie.
There is just a smooth elegance by the way that they tie.
They make it look easy even though it isn't.
Watch Charlie or Stalcup.  Having been commercial tyers they
had to be efficient in their movement.
Look Rim he is just smooth as ice when he twists that dubbing to form a perfectly
segmented body on his RS2.

Kimo

It's just a little funny, someone who just learned to do something trying to be an expert and teach it. You're right though, it's free. I don't spend much time watching someone who is an apparent novice, I like to learn from someone that knows more than I do. There's too many really good videos out there to spend much time watching those that aren't so good.

2 hours ago, TSMcDougald said:

I spent the weekend doing household chores I had been procrastinating on so I didn't get much time to tie many flies. Below is two days worth of tying. Both are deceivers - a pattern I am working on but have not perfected.

20200525_162606.jpg

20200524_114057.jpg

Keep them coming.....