Fly Tying
flytire

May Flies From the Vise

31 minutes ago, Julius Riffle said:

Pheasant Rump Streamer

Nothing but pheasant rump and a bit of dubbing.

That is a great looking fly!

Tying up some Non-Pelagic Squids for a trip. 6 to 9 inches long on 7/0 and 9/0 hooks.

Leaving in the morning. Also making up some fly lines for deep sea and tying up some 20 Lb. leaders. I'll be gone a week.

DSCF5446-X3.jpg

It'll be a week into June when I get back. May was a great month for fly tying. I appreciate all you guys tying and showing us what you do.

Caddis Emerger

49957231396_79493289bc_c.jpg

49957514762_91eea37881_c.jpg

49957514707_9cdafacafd_c.jpg

Borrowed bits and pieces from a number of patterns.

hook - WFC Model 3 #12
thread - Veevus 8/0 tan
shuck - Zelon amber
tag/rib - Mirage Flash opal
body - Ice Dub uv tan
underwing - Congo Hair shiner tan
wing - deer hair bleached
thorax - Ice Dub uv tan
hackle - ginger

Regards,
Scott

Mark, catch one for me.  I haven't been fishing much.  Like the flies. 

SB Patt, I like your Caddis and Loch flies.  Great work this month EVERYONE.

12 hours ago, DarrellP said:

Mark, catch one for me.  I haven't been fishing much.  Like the flies. 

SB Patt, I like your Caddis and Loch flies.  Great work this month EVERYONE.

I will, which one do you want? Thanks for the comments. I like your flies too. well actually I like everyone's flies, but yours especially.😊

Really very nice tying everyone. Having an outlet while self quarantining was very helpful in beating back

some of the isolation blues.  It is June now and the restrictions are easing up and the fish are running so

much less time for me at the vise going forward.  Thanks everyone for your flies as they made things a bit

brighter during those anxious times. 🙂

On 5/31/2020 at 2:20 PM, Julius Riffle said:

Pheasant Rump Streamer

Nothing but pheasant rump and a bit of dubbing.

Very Nice!
I'm doing much of the same. 
PTR is easy to come by and cheap.

Kimo

13 hours ago, Kimo said:

Very Nice!
I'm doing much of the same. 
PTR is easy to come by and cheap.

Kimo

Thanks, Kimo!

Your PTR Game Changers have inspired me to get some articulation spines in my next order.

Last Saturday with an angler aboard we were working out of Chokoloskee (the heart of the Ten Thousand Islands - the north end of Everglades National Park), tossing small popping bugs at dawn with little success.  We found a downed tree and could actually see a small snook working something at the surface.  Once again no luck with the popper until it finally snagged a branch and that was that... As I moved my skiff close enough to retrieve that popper I was able to see that the bait (locally called glass minnnows - actually bay anchovies) was a bit too small for the size of the popper we were tossing.... Later on we moved to other areas where a bigger fly did work (and quite well).  At the end of the day I did some rooting around and found just the ticket for the next time we encounter those kinds of conditions - and it might just have some uses in freshwater as well... 

WwVBK4E.jpg

I call it the Gold Bug - and you adjust its overall size by pinching a bit here and there on the maribou tail once it's wet if it needs to be a bit smaller... Here's a quick materials list and tying sequence... 

Thread:  Danville's flat waxed nylon in red (#056)

Hook:    Mustad 34007, size #4

Eyes:     the same size beadchain eyes you'd use for almost any bonefish pattern, tied in one beadchain width behind the hook eye

Undertail:  sparse bit of calf tail worked around the hook - slightly forward of the bend

Flash:  One strand of pearl Flashabou, doubled, then re-doubled, then folded over the bobbin's tube and slid into place (after each fold is cut you end up with 8 or more strands of flash with staggered ends... )

Tail:   One side of a full maribou blood quill ( I use 3 to 4" blood quill), tied in on top of undertail and flash

Collar:  one brown or tan saddle hackle tied in at the butt end an palmered in place at the tie in point of the tail...

Weedguard:  #3 trolling wire tied in place in front of eyes and left sticking straight out from the hook

Body:   One strand of gold diamond braid,  doubled then tied in on top of the shank just behind the eyes with thread securing it all the way back to the collar then wound forward and "figure eighted" around the eyes before tying off a the hook eye... 

Thread is then touched with super glue (Krazy Glue for me) and allowed to dry.  When dry the wire weedguard is bent into place and trimmed just forward of the hook's barb, then given a slight final bend where it meets the hook point...