Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
samsonboi

Ekich Ultimate Bobbin review

1 hour ago, samsonboi said:

How'd you make those different colored resin-looking ants???

1 hour ago, samsonboi said:

Especially the ones with the black head and black-red-black striped rear?????

They are a patterns called Attact Ants or Tranpar Ants by Harrison Steeves.

http://www.oocities.org/gold_trout/articles/TransparANT.htm

http://tinyurl.com/y2cyckzx

It is a fly that I demo since it is an easy UV resin fly to tie. I give them away at conclaves to everyone who stays while I tie them.

Tie on 2 glass beads as below. The beads can be black, red, brown, for the ant color you want.

35724586315_ea9f75dfb7_z.jpg

Coat with UV resin and cure. They can be tied with hackle to float or with black flashabou legs as a sunken pattern

35593321121_d5852dbedf_z.jpg

35555728082_ccd5d1ceb1_z.jpg

11 minutes ago, SilverCreek said:

They are a patterns called Attact Ants or Tranpar Ants by Harrison Steeves.

http://www.oocities.org/gold_trout/articles/TransparANT.htm

http://tinyurl.com/y2cyckzx

It is a fly that I demo since it is an easy UV resin fly to tie. I give them away at conclaves to everyone who stays while I tie them.

Tie on 2 glass beads as below. The beads can be black, red, brown, for the ant color you want.

Ok, that's pretty cool. And really good tying. One thing I would do differently, not a flaw, just being obsessively picky here, is whip finish or half hitch behind the red bead. Then I would start the thread in front of it and finish the fly. Really only applies for the ant that's red and black, because you can see the thread go over the red bead, but not the black one.

10 minutes ago, Flat Rock native said:

You got it bud, those are great renditions.  Look at Fran’s flies pictured at Hans’ Flytiers Pages, too.

Thanks Flat Rock. I want to find some Betters tying/fishing books, too. I'm gonna contact his widow Jan, she had some a couple years ago.

23 minutes ago, samsonboi said:

Ok, that's pretty cool. And really good tying. One thing I would do differently, not a flaw, just being obsessively picky here, is whip finish or half hitch behind the red bead. Then I would start the thread in front of it and finish the fly. Really only applies for the ant that's red and black, because you can see the thread go over the red bead, but not the black one.

You can see the thread go over the transparent bead in the magnified image but I doubt the trout notice at the real world size of the fly.

The reason I tie OVER the bead is that the thread dams in front and in back of the beads are then tied together by the interconnecting thread.

If they are NOT interconnected one thread dam exerting more pressure after tying the first will tend to move the beads. You need a certain amount of thread in front and in back of the beads to make a transition section so the body segments look tapered and with the thread  connecting the thread dams, you don't need to worry that much about the beads shifting.

Really? Huh. Didn't think it would. So I guess I'd tie it your way if it was a fishing fly. But if it was a display fly I'd tie it without the over-thread.

I added this to my previous post because I meant to put it there, but I just noticed it said "I'm very" and nothing else

I'm very proud of my progress on these; I used to be awful at calf tail wings. I suspect most of that was the inferior hair I was using; I started with very unruly, twisty calf tail that was also tapered far too thin. The orange, pink, and chartreuse stuff I have now is really awesome. I never had much trouble with deer hair or other hair wings, just calftail.

Rhyacophila pupa emerger

picture_2133_large.jpg

Brachycentrus or Mother's Day Caddis pupa emerger

caddis-pupa-brachycentrus-swittersb-hafe

Rhyacophila caddis pupa emergers I stomach pumped from a Madison River Trout

35593517151_2301c31c11_z.jpg

A green glass bead caddis pupa emerger

35555722622_5534803587_z.jpg

4 hours ago, samsonboi said:

Thanks. I didn't directly knock the Norvise bobbin because it is a great tool, and others may like it more than my choice- but I like the Ekich one better because it suits my tying. It's all subjective. My father was French-Canadian and I am a Canadian citizen as well as an American one, so Canadian manufacture is not a minus for me, ey?

Now for this picture- the flies on the right are original Fran Betters ties- I have 2 Au Sable Wulffs by him, and a pair of Haystacks as well, plus a few other flies I believe to have been tied by him- they were given to me by a friend who used to frequent Fran's shop back in the day. The Au Sable Wulffs and Parachute ASW on the left are my ties. Since my laptop camera is terrible, the colors are a bit muted- particularly the rusty orange body- but it gets the point across.

IMG_20200503_160705.thumb.jpg.2dbfab8b5fdd8effffdba7a1a8f8d562.jpg

I will post some closeups with a good camera soon.

I have one of his Ausable Wulffs floating around somewhere in a film canister .Do u have an Ipad by the Samboi ?

Ausgezeichnet...!

Kinetic Sculptures... Synergy... Think Stradivarius... 

fullsizeoutput_3098.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_30a5.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_4065.jpeg

Dude. I am jealous 🤣

But my Regal suits me fine. I do want stainless jaws for it, but don't have the coin as of yet. Spins real good too, looks and is rugged with a simple aesthetic, and doesn't cost a bloody fortune! Although I will admit I like the sweeping LAW-inspired lines of Faruk's vise.

i bought the ekich bobbin holder, tried it for a couple of weeks and decided it didnt work for my tying style

i dont tie with 5 inches of thread outside of the tube to require automatic retraction

i followed the instructions to a tee. it would never retract as advertised. i sent it back for a full refund

i still dont believe the heat build up issue. if that was the case then all bobbin holders would be suspect

i certainly dont wrap fast enough to supposedly melt thread

just couldnt keep drinking that koolaid

Wish you'd kept it! I'd have bought it off you lol

I tie close in. The retraction I use when I hang my thread on my articulating task light which I use as a bobbin rest, or several other tasks throughout tying, like after whip finishing.