Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
samsonboi

Ekich Ultimate Bobbin review

Never tried the no ride one but I do like the ekich.  It does take a while to get use to.  can’t tell you how many times I’ve cut off the thread to watch the spring suck it right back to the spool. I rarely do that now.   

The only complaint I have is with the o-ring that holds the spool tight. Some spools are too lose.  Thinking cheap spools are held to a tight inside hole tolerance is wishful thinking,  sometimes I have to use a different o-ring

34 minutes ago, rscconrad said:

Never tried the no ride one but I do like the ekich.  It does take a while to get use to.  can’t tell you how many times I’ve cut off the thread to watch the spring suck it right back to the spool. I rarely do that now.   

The only complaint I have is with the o-ring that holds the spool tight. Some spools are too lose.  Thinking cheap spools are held to a tight inside hole tolerance is wishful thinking,  sometimes I have to use a different o-ring

Did lubing the ring help at all?

BTW, it is not that hard to spin the Ekich bobbin. All you have to do is hold the tube rather than the body and roll it in your fingers. Also the A seems like it balances much better than the S in the pictures.

1 hour ago, samsonboi said:

BTW, it is not that hard to spin the Ekich bobbin. All you have to do is hold the tube rather than the body and roll it in your fingers. Also the A seems like it balances much better than the S in the pictures.

I put a 3/4 inch piece of vinyl junction tubing over the snout and it spins like a dream, balance is good.  Same with Rite bobbins, some others,  will post a picture if I am not making this very clear...

I don't like the rite bobbins. It needs a support to grasp. I used one once, and hated it. I need it to have a frame, like the Ekich bobbin or a standard or Norvise bobbin. It needs at least a little protrusion to make it any good. But I get your drift. Interesting idea,

I am a fairly new to fly tying and have been looking for a bobbin to address. my needs.  I believe I may have found in the Ekrich bobbin.  Fortunately my birthday day is around the corner April 10th, so my wife agreed that it would be a nice present so I ordered one this Friday.  I look forward to receiving it soon.  Mr Ekrich two emails to me.  The first thanking me for my order and asking where I learned about his bobbin.  I replied sending him a link to this page, which he answered me with a return email thanking me and encouraging me to watch his videos and study the materials about his bobbin.  I will definitely follow his advise.  Also, once I receive it and start to learn its advantages and disadvantages, if any I will return here for further comments.

Also, any sage advise you experienced fly tying aficionados care to share, I’ll listen.

regards, 

ron

On 5/3/2020 at 3:47 PM, SilverCreek said:

35684734346_991e34002b_z.jpg

35555718382_cee9e91d3e_z.jpg

35684734126_57e322c027_z.jpg

35555718242_b95c111b32_z.jpg

34883027144_80f9bc8d38_z.jpg

35684733506_30494ba2b9_z.jpg

34915034153_6f6828e162_z.jpg

35724584025_af571cd516_z.jpgr

WOW Silver Creek, it appears I have some tying to do. I only have 2 boxes now. I'm ashamed to call myself a fly tier! 

I salute you Sir, I AM IMPRESSED!

9 hours ago, Ron from Los Osos, CA said:

Also, any sage advise you experienced fly tying aficionados care to share, I’ll listen.

regards, 

ron

Welcome to the site, Ron.

11 hours ago, Charlie1947 said:

WOW Silver Creek, it appears I have some tying to do. I only have 2 boxes now. I'm ashamed to call myself a fly tier! 

I salute you Sir, I AM IMPRESSED!

I think that when fly tying becomes "fun" instead of "work" is when the flies start to add up.