Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
niveker

Corn Bread

I know alot of members here are from the South, so feel free to comment as needed, but as a someone who grew up in New England where traditional boiled dinners ("Ma, when's dinner gonna be ready?" "When its done boiling!") and Wonder Bread were staples, I appreciated the food when I moved to the South.  Unfortunately, when I moved out of the South and started cooking for myself, the one dish I could never get quite right was corn bread.  It was the texture that was never correct.  Then someone recommended this brand of corn meal in the photo.  I think the key is 'stone ground'.  It's just like I remembered (except for the color), and if there are any left-overs, they're even better the next morning toasted on the griddle with butter.  The moister, sweeter recipe version on the back of the package is what I prefer.      

IMG-20200507-181600-01.jpg

I'm not from the south but I love corn bread. That is the only corn meal I use. If you want to treat yourself throw some corn cut right from the Cob into the mix. 

And buttermilk. Don't forget the buttermilk 

17 minutes ago, Poopdeck said:

I'm not from the south but I love corn bread. That is the only corn meal I use. If you want to treat yourself throw some corn cut right from the Cob into the mix. 

Yeah PD, I love it that way too, but everyone one else in the house, not so much.  

9 minutes ago, Steeldrifter said:

Mom's side of family are from Georgia and North Carolina, so yep, needless to say I like corn bread :)

Consider yourself lucky, you never had to deal with the bland, texture less stuff they try to pass off up here in the North.  

My wifey calls them corn fritters.  Pretty much corn bread mix like usual but do them in skillet with lil oil like you would pancakes.   No baking in oven.  BTW best corn bread is made with batter into preheated/hot black skillet then goes in the oven.  Also prerequisite before a southern bride to be is corn bread.  Seriously...😉👍

M’isipi 

I gotta agree on the corn bread in the pre-heated skillet and then into the oven.  I fix the fritters sometimes just to give me something to munch on.  If you haven't already, try adding some dehydrated onion or onion powder and a tablespoon or two of mustard into your batter and then fry them.   A little garlic doesn't hurt either.  I keep a stick of butter handy and as soon as I flip it in my skillet I rub the stick of butter over the hot fritter while the other side is still frying to really give it that extra taste of butter and to further clog up my arteries.  It would be like loosing a good friend if something happened to one of my skillets. It's only a 10" but it was my great grandmothers and it has seen a lot of use.  All the newer cast iron has a texture to them but the old ones are smooth on the inside.   My 8" skillet was my grandmothers and that's my fritter pan.   now I'm hungry........

Ah, fritters, haven't had those in a while, we also called them hush puppies.  Thanks for the reminder.  

I either make muffins or do the pre-heated cast iron skillet for a round loaf. Not sure how people got away from cooking on cast iron, but I have a pretty good working collection.  Never cared for that plastic coated stuff.  

8 hours ago, netabrookie said:

All the newer cast iron has a texture to them but the old ones are smooth on the inside.   

netabrookie, I've seen some recommend taking a palm sander to those pans to smooth out that texture, but I haven't had the need to do it yet.  

I use that cornmeal too,  i have 8-9-10 skillets that i use,  but occasionally i use a cast iron muffin pan for single serve sizes.   Preheating is a must.  I put bacon fat in to season too (sorry american heart association). My only need as i am a northerner is i make it on the sweet side.  Love corn bread!

On 5/8/2020 at 10:10 AM, niveker said:

Ah, fritters, haven't had those in a while, we also called them hush puppies.  Thanks for the reminder.  

I either make muffins or do the pre-heated cast iron skillet for a round loaf. Not sure how people got away from cooking on cast iron, but I have a pretty good working collection.  Never cared for that plastic coated stuff.  

netabrookie, I've seen some recommend taking a palm sander to those pans to smooth out that texture, but I haven't had the need to do it yet.  

No no no, corn bread and hush puppies are not the same, at least not to us northerners who love going south for hush puppies and chicken and waffles. Hush puppies are next level deep fried corn bread. Deep frying is the only way possible to improve on corn bread. 

3 minutes ago, Poopdeck said:

No no no, corn bread and hush puppies are not the same, at least not to us northerners who love going south for hush puppies and chicken and waffles. Hush puppies are next level deep fried corn bread. Deep frying is the only way possible to improve on corn bread. 

Okay, so now I'm confused.  I  know corn bread is baked, either as muffins or as a loaf.  Fritters and hush puppies are fried in oil.  Whats the difference between those two?  

1 hour ago, niveker said:

Okay, so now I'm confused.  I  know corn bread is baked, either as muffins or as a loaf.  Fritters and hush puppies are fried in oil.  Whats the difference between those two?  

No difference in the mix except hush puppy mix is lil drier and add chopped green onions.... per my wife... 

The difference is corn bread is baked and hush puppies are fried in hot fat taking corn bread up a couple notches. i guess you can say they are the same because the base is the same but it's not because frying in hot fat adds even more flavor and less dryness. Way different flavor to my refined palate. 

Not corn bread and hush puppies ...

15 hours ago, niveker said:

Fritters and hush puppies are fried in oil.  Whats the difference between those two?