Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

Guides Choice Hares Ear

Guides choice hares ears are in my opinion one of the best summer months swinging flies. It mimics a caddis emerging perfectly, Its got just the right amount of flash to get the fish's attention, the movement with the soft hackle legs is amazing, and I jig it so it won't get caught on the bottom while starting my swing. I like fishing these in riffles, casting down stream about 60 degrees and letting it swing down. If no bites, take a step down and repeat. This will allow you to cover lots of water and catch more fish especially in the summer. In the spring, summer and fall, caddis hatches start popping off. Caddis provide a little more food for trout in one bite than just midges. Many caddis can get large, some are smaller though. But all of the caddis species will start swimming and floating upward towards the surface to be able to emerge into their final winged form. This process happens very quickly, and therefor the swinging motion of the fly will entice a trout to strike. These are fairly easy to tie, and you can probably tie around 10-15 per hour and fill a box in just a couple hours. Tie them in different color shades as well. Ive been known to use olive dubbing for the body, and also orange. Also you can use a hot spot or no hot spot. Up to you. 

HEY MCFLY!! Nice video and a great fly! A hares ear and it's variations is about all I fish for trout. Super productive in the spring for me but I only trout fish a few times a year in the spring. 

42 minutes ago, Mark Knapp said:

Barry, want to elaborate?

I’d let it be.  No need to have negativity exchanged back and fourth for no apparent reason.  :)  

1 hour ago, McFlyLures said:

I’d let it be.  No need to have negativity exchanged back and fourth for no apparent reason.  :)  

I'm not sure if it is negativity, I just don't know what it means. Consider it let go, buddy.

7 minutes ago, Mark Knapp said:

I'm not sure if it is negativity, I just don't know what it means. Consider it let go, buddy.

No I don’t think you were being negative.  And not necessarily him either.  Just I’ve seen crazy arguments break out on here on less.  Haha!  We are alllllll good.  

I did reply but changed my mind and unsuccessfully tried to delete it. It was going to comment as a guide my first choice would be a Byrds Nest, but then I thought no one would be interested. 
Sorry if anyone considers this negative. 
barry

1 hour ago, Bazzer69 said:

I did reply but changed my mind and unsuccessfully tried to delete it. It was going to comment as a guide my first choice would be a Byrds Nest, but then I thought no one would be interested. 
barry

Post a pic of the Byrds Nest and tell us about the drainages where it is your first choice.....fish pictures could be bonus.

12 hours ago, Bazzer69 said:

barry

No problem buddy, I'd like to see your Birds Nest.