Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Wonder Rod restoration

Something a little different out of the shop this evening. This is a fiberglass Wonder Rod restoration for a customer. First pic is pre cleaning, others are after cleaning, stripping, re-wrapping. Also redid the guide spacing which took it from 7 to 9 guides.

glass1.jpg

glass2.jpg

glass3.jpg

You guys should see the restoration job Steve did on a Heddon rod for me.  Turned  a beater into an object of pride. Sorry I can't post the picts he sent.

Rocco

That looks like a totally different rod. I cant wait to hang that little Pflueger Medalist reel on it and go "Oldschool" on some Bream

2 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

Wonder-ful. Have fun Duck

This rod means a lot to me. It hung in my Dads fishing cabin forever. It came to me after he passed. I'll fish it occcasionally,but it is going to be a mantlepiece relic.

Nice!

I have a question though, is there a way to restore or replace the decals on an old rod?

Swamp

To do that you'd have to find a place that would remake the original rod companies decal. It is "doable" but finding a place that would make a companies decal would be the biggest issue.

That's what I was afraid of.

I can't tell from the photo if you refreshed the cork or replaced it.  Either way, good job.

Swamp

It's the factory grip. I lightly sanded it clean with some 220 grit, then cleaned it further with a baking soda/water mix scrubbed with a brush. That way it still keeps the nostalgic look of the factory grip but has a much cleaner appeal to it.

Like I said great job!

Duck, I love the old Wonder Rods.  Depending on the model they can still give modern rods a run for their money.  Looks like you are good to go for a few more generations of Ducklings!

Swamp

P.S. Steve,

I haven't really looked myself yet, but does anyone still make that style of spring loaded reel seat?

I'm actually pretty fond of that reel seat. When I first got the rod, it was pretty stuck. It took some electronic contact cleaner and some finagling to unstick it.

Steve,

Have you ever tried using a MrClean Magic Erasure to clean the grips?  They do a great job.

Also, I was wondering how you restore the bright white color to the rod.  They seem to turn to a kind of ugly yellowing as they age.