Fly Tying
TSFISH

CAE Tying Vice

1 hour ago, Jaydub said:

Yes, but the if the stem is 10 mm it won't fit in a 9.52 mm clamp.

Excellent. I'm glad to hear that, but it may end up costing me a lot of money.

Its not costing you anything if you enjoy tying on it!

Don’t get me wrong about the CAE vise, I really like tying on it, it’s just the quality control is a bit irritating 

Barry

3 hours ago, petegray said:

fullsizeoutput_115d.jpeg

Nailed the Damascus steel, too.  Here’s to using art for making some more art...🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

4 hours ago, Jaydub said:

Yes, but the if the stem is 10 mm it won't fit in a 9.52 mm clamp.

Excellent. I'm glad to hear that, but it may end up costing me a lot of money.

If it didn't I have a drill press i make the hole bigger or a belt grinder to make the post smaller.

I'm not familiar with the vise so Perhaps I'm missing something but what exactly is the difficulty with this vise and putting the stem into a different base or a C clamp base? 10MM or 3/8" isn't really a problem since there's a set screw if the hole is a hair big. If the hole is a hair small drill it out. A hand drill is all that's needed since 99.5% of the hole is already there. I wouldn't let a simple thing like a base or clamp keep me from getting the vise I wanted. From the pictures I think the wood base is a little cheesy but simple enough to replace unless it's somehow integral to the operation or esthetics of the vise. 

1 hour ago, Poopdeck said:

cheesy *

😎 * Some highly technical vice-vise-vise term, with which I am not familiar...😎

Four pound counter-weight, base platform, will let you tie 5/0 all day on the J-vice, drill the holes 10mm, or 3/8 as needed, or mill out the cheapo C-Clamp to 10mm.  Commercial base made for 10 mm and it holds the Dan -Vise stem... $25..

3 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

I'm not familiar with the vise so Perhaps I'm missing something but what exactly is the difficulty with this vise and putting the stem into a different base or a C clamp base? 10MM or 3/8" isn't really a problem since there's a set screw if the hole is a hair big. If the hole is a hair small drill it out. A hand drill is all that's needed since 99.5% of the hole is already there. I wouldn't let a simple thing like a base or clamp keep me from getting the vise I wanted. From the pictures I think the wood base is a little cheesy but simple enough to replace unless it's somehow integral to the operation or esthetics of the vise. 

I don't know why this is hard to understand. Most if not all American vises use a 3/8"(9.5 mm) stem. This means that clamps and bases for these vises have 9.5 mm holes. If a vise has a 10 mm stem it won't fit in a 9.5 mm hole. You would need to bore out the hole or turn down the stem to fit. But it sounds like the whole thing is moot because you can order a JVice with a 3/8" stem.

35 minutes ago, Jaydub said:

. But it sounds like the whole thing is moot because you can order a JVice with a 3/8" stem.

Right you are, and then shipping costs are often a tough factor for S African companies...

Flat Rock native Do I understand correctly  that you use a modified  cheese cutting board as a platform for your J vise .

1 hour ago, Mogup said:

Flat Rock native Do I understand correctly  that you use a modified  cheese cutting board as a platform for your J vise .

Let’s just say.. I can if I want, but the trapeze extendo bar adds an element of danger, tying on the move and such🙄

1 hour ago, Mogup said:

Frankly, I thought pd was talkin bout Pete’s setup... 😎

Mine doesn't rise to the ...cheeseboard... level.  Just a board foot of scrap from the timber mill in town....🤐

4 minutes ago, Bazzer69 said:

Wasn’t this tread about the CAE vise?

🤹‍♀️🤹‍♀️🤹‍♀️🤹‍♀️🇺🇸🇺🇸