Fly Tying
swaddo

mayflies

Does anyone know if there is a version of this gallery which will allow me to 'put a face to a name' for Aussie bugs (eg Kosciusko Dun)

thanks

Blake

QUOTE (swaddo @ Mar 20 2005, 06:17 PM)
Does anyone know if there is a version of this gallery which will allow me to 'put a face to a name' for Aussie bugs (eg  Kosciusko Dun)

thanks
Blake

swaddo-

The best thing I've found to access pictures is Google Images

and just key in what you are looking for. In your case, that would be Koscuisko Dun.

Doing so, I pulled up two pictures out of the following article:

Kosciusko Dun

I have used google images, however the prob is that I dont know the names (latin or otherwise) of the bugs I'm seeing. I probably should have said that in the first post (kossie dun is just 1 name that I know)

I'd kinda like to search for "mayfly with brown body with cream ventral side and heavy black patterns on the wing" but unfortunately google doesn't like this. Would work better if i could flick through a gallery and pick it out of of the lineup.

goulburn valley site is great for most stuff but unfortunately the entomology section is incomplete.

thanks

Blake

QUOTE (swaddo @ Mar 21 2005, 12:34 AM)
I have used google images, however the prob is that I dont know the names (latin or otherwise) of the bugs I'm seeing. I probably should have said that in the first post (kossie dun is just 1 name that I know)

I'd kinda like to search for "mayfly with brown body with cream ventral side and black patterns on the wing" but unfortunatley I google doesn't like this. Would work better if i could flick through a gallery and pick it out of of the lineup.

goulburn valley site is great for most stuff but unfortunately the entomology section is incomplete.

thanks
Blake

Gee Blake, wish I could be of more help. Here in N. America, I can think three or four websites that have a cross reference from common to scientific name, mostly for mayflies. However, as you indicate, the common names are all different down under, and probably most of the genera are as well.

Maybe it's time to purchase some books on the Australian continent's flyfishing entomology; surely there are some. Then you could read them and create a website that provides that information you seek.

If you don't have time for that, just buy them and send them to me. That way I can read them and add the information to my website, and you can access it there.

I think you scared him off with that last scam Taxon.

The Australian Entomology Books I have read always stop well short of specific research. Mainly saying that limited research has been done, even though we have thousands of these critters around us every season. Even with the common beetle the scientist state that they know very little in Oz with only some or no field study being completed.

Swaddo, have you read Rob Flowers Book?

Australian Trout Food http://www.afn.com.au/shop/scditem.asp?ProdID=258

Maybe a job waiting for you here in the land of OZ Taxon bs.gif

Cheers

"Smuggler" ph34r.gif

post-31-1115020771.jpg

haven't been scaed off trev. still moochin around checking things out.

I agree that most of the books that I have seen (event he good ole water bug book) are fairly sketchy about details. I have found a guy at the local Uni who has done significant research into aussie mayflies. I am going to get hold of some of his publications and see what theya re like.

Cheers

Blake

We three together what was the odds.

It is facinating research I got put off by hitting lots of brick wallsand limited publications. And they were very vague. Let us know how you go with your mate.

Cheers

"Smuggler"

QUOTE (Smuggler @ May 2 2005, 03:11 AM)
We three together what was the odds.
It is  facinating research I got put off by hitting lots of brick wallsand limited publications. And they were very vague. Let us know how you go with your mate.
Cheers
"Smuggler"

Smuggler & swaddo-

Actually, swaddo's stated desire to be able to key in "mayfly with brown body with cream ventral side and black patterns on the wing" was part of my motivation for developing the "Adult Mayfly Identification" page on my website.

Thus far, I haven't attempted to go beyond genus level identification. However, assuming that the genus of Australian mayfly swadoo wants to identify is one that we have in N. America, which many are, he might actually be able to identify it to genus level on my Adult Mayfly Identification page.