Fly Tying
chugbug27

18 & Under on a Renzetti

When tying 18 & under, I find that my vise gets in the way. I'm on a Renzetti, and one solution I've used is to tilt the bent arm straight horizontally so the jaw comes straight up vertically. But still the little screw on the face of the jaw gets in the way and other parts get in the way as well, just it so much. 

Anyone else with a similar struggle and maybe a better work-around? 

40 minutes ago, chugbug27 said:

When tying 18 & under, I find that my vise gets in the way. I'm on a Renzetti, and one solution I've used is to tilt the bent arm straight horizontally so the jaw comes straight up vertically. But still the little screw on the face of the jaw gets in the way and other parts get in the way as well, just it so much. 

Anyone else with a similar struggle and maybe a better work-around? 

Which Renzetti vise because the most common is the traveler and it does not have an adjustable arm.

OIP-1.jpg.96e5ed858a3fb620098dc4195821b1cf.jpg

The Master does and I don't adjust mine at all for small flies.

OIP.jpg.e15e95271cb345cab8804c9befb47e67.jpg

Some presentation models do and others don't.

OIP.jpg.557e381d41b56335ffd1bac5f5b4e463.jpgOIP-2.jpg.7bae742fd39dbbef26e188b4ac481899.jpg

I have an older Presentation (2 screws, no lever) and have the same problem.  The small (upper) screw does get in the way.  I guess for the most part, I have learned to live with it.  If I get really annoyed, I'll switch to my Regal.  Sorry I couldn't help more.

Thanks, Bob H

Thanks for the feedback. Here are some pics...

First pic shows the vise in the standard position. The circle shows where my thumb goes when tying on a wingpost, for example. My thumb and finger are hindered from going low enough to tie the wingpost on the hook.

461158879_Smallhooks4.thumb.jpg.cc32ddfad76f6c870f793d306d811e22.jpg

If I lift the arm up so it stands upright, that gives me the room I need to tie on the wingpost (for example)

384441915_Smallhooks1.thumb.jpg.2a2fbdd322310927d30ed82b4fddcad7.jpg

268692295_Smallhooks2.thumb.jpg.ee0a009556401e9c8e56111e46a683d9.jpg

However, in that position my thread winding then gets disrupted, as shown below.  (Also on the knob, which is not demonstrated in the photo.) This gives me trouble dubbing around a wingpost, for example.

906737887_Smallhooks3.thumb.jpg.b052bede3c22d50ceb99dfe7f3834d4a.jpg

My fingers are not enormous, and I was able to play the violin with these fingers, so I don't think it's my fingers or my fine motor skills...

Are there only two positions to choose from?  Looks like you could pick a position with the best angles for both your fingers and the thread by just lowering it a fraction.

I am not familiar with the problem or the solution, just observing your pictures.

I find this interesting I have a Master vise as well as the presentation 2000 and I have tie thousands of flies in the 18 to 24 range mostly nymphs but I do tie lots of 18 & parachute drys and have never been hampered by what you explain you have encountered I wish I could see what you are doing that cause you the frustration. I thing that I could say is if you have a fly shop near you go see them someone or everyone that works there a tiers and they would be able to help you I wish I could offer you more 

I just had a thought it may work for you needs have you tried a wing post gallows some folks use them for me I just hold the post with my fingers while wrapping the base

1 hour ago, BobHRAH said:

I have learned to live with it.

Yup

15 minutes ago, mikechell said:

pick a position with the best angles for both your fingers and the thread

Helps a little

7 minutes ago, James said:

have you tried a wing post gallows

I should have clarified, for instance a calf body hair wing post.  A poly wing post would pose no problem.

I know that small flies come with their own special tying limitations, and that changes in material or methods are often needed with smaller flies.  Maybe this is one of those many instances. But as the hook gets even smaller (22-28) more and more I find it helpful and even necessary to get that jaw vertical to make room to tie. 

tie left handed and the offending screw goes away 😁

left.jpg

13 hours ago, chugbug27 said:

A poly wing post would pose no problem.

there ya go! problem solved

I've not had that problem. Whether it is the size of my fingers or technique or something else, I have not idea. I guess you will have to buy a LAW vise for several thousnad dollars (wink)!

calc_waldron-w352.jpg

kinda like flytire said, can you reverse the jaws so the screw is in the back?  Or save some money on the LAW and get a Dyna-King. 😉

You cannot reverse the jaws on a traveler to put the screw on the back for a right handed tyer 

no threaded hole on that side of the jaw

see my photo above

on the vise chug has I don’t know

6 minutes ago, flytire said:

on the vise chug has I don’t know

Aha, yes the knob can be screwed in from the back on the Master. That will help a bit, especially when the vise jaw is vertical.