Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
cphubert

Retired! Last day 12 June

I retired September, 2009. Took three days to adjust. And I never regretted it. However, with 7 grandkids in town, plus hobbies, I can't figure how I found time to work!

FWIW, when I retired, a friend worked at a local manufacturer. He figured it would net him more $$$ on the long run by retiring at 62 instead of 65. BTW, ask the younger generation about retirement age.  My son is 38...he can't draw full SS benefits until he is 70!

CP, happy retirement! Wife saw a sign in a gift shop- Retirement is twice the husband at half the money.

2 hours ago, skeet3t said:

Wife saw a sign in a gift shop- Retirement is twice the husband at half the money.

Showed that to my wife she's still laughing :)

Also, you have to remember that retirement removes all the meaning from the weekend.

Congratulations. You deserve it. Keep busy, fish, have fun, fish, stay safe and fish.

I'm pretty sure I get to work till the day I die. My wife and I squandered our 401Ks building our store, but we like it and we don't have to worry about life after retirement. It's a win/win.😊

I would have retired even earlier but the wife said she didn't have time for a part-time job in addition to her full-time job.

Edit- A friend retired about six months after me.  He designs and manages websites, active in church, has children, grandchildren, great grandchildren. He told me he couldn't figure out when he had time to work!

I guess I am the odd guy here.  I am joining a new business venture in OR at the age of 61.  Moving to be closer to family, have fun helping build a business again, and escaping this infernal heat.  The most fun I ever had working was working with a group, growing a business, opening clinics.  I am excited.  I also enjoyed the stock options.  My wife is ready to move, too.  

Everyone in my family died pretty quick after retirement.  I guess I will die with my boots on, if my health holds.

55 minutes ago, DarrellP said:

I guess I am the odd guy here.  I am joining a new business venture in OR at the age of 61.  Moving to be closer to family, have fun helping build a business again, and escaping this infernal heat.  The most fun I ever had working was working with a group, growing a business, opening clinics.  I am excited.  I also enjoyed the stock options.  My wife is ready to move, too.  

Everyone in my family died pretty quick after retirement.  I guess I will die with my boots on, if my health holds.

Keep active! Two years ago, I started into outdoor writing and photography. Do what I like and when I like...and get paid. My father had a sheet metal shop in the Tampa area. Folks in that area  were the working class. He said some were 20-30 years older than him (early 50s) and they could run circles around him. They were constantly on the go! OTOH, he went to the Miami area to bid on a job. This area was loaded with rich old codgers. He said they were waited on "hand and foot. Some looked so bad, if they fell down, people would start throwing dirt on them."

6 hours ago, DarrellP said:

Best of luck in all your endeavors.

Congrats.

Retired from the Military in 2008 after 30, and still working part-time for a the Middle School and High School over here in Japan.

Enjoy yourself and take time to relax

I was supposed to be retired June 30 this year, but with this coved thing it now looks like the date will be December 1.  Can  hardly wait!

Doug

CP

Congratulations and enjoy each day.  You will find that there are more opportunities than you can handle. Organizations need the skills you bring forth. After you figure out your retirement goals, make sure you include yourself. May your retirement be long and laden with great family, beautiful flies, and wonderful fish.