Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

Au Sable daily updates

Made it up to Mio this afternoon and will be here at least the next 2 weeks or more just 100 yrds from my favorite river, the Au Sable. Got a bigger room this year than I normally get. Lots of room to stretch out and make it home. Gonna be here so long this time I brought all the comforts of home...blue ray/dvd player, rod rack, pretty much everything I need to live happily for the next few weeks including a whole home made hard frosting sheet cake  my Mom made me for the trip. :) Spent most the day getting unpacked and watching movies but got out this evening for a few hours and got a nice lil' smallmouth on the spey rod.

2020 Mio 001.JPG

2020 Mio 004.JPG

2020 Mio 002.JPG

2020 Mio 003.JPG

2020 Mio 005.JPG

17 minutes ago, The Mad Duck said:

WHOA? Do I spy a NON flyrod on that rack? 😋

I saw that too! Must have been forgotten by the previous occupant of the room.

31 minutes ago, Lesg said:

I saw that too! Must have been forgotten by the previous occupant of the room.

ha ha. No, I bet Steve is just prepared for any kind of situation that gets thrown at him. I just had to give him a little grief 😜

5 minutes ago, The Mad Duck said:

ha ha. No, I bet Steve is just prepared for any kind of situation that gets thrown at him. I just had to give him a little grief 😜

O

10 hours ago, Steeldrifter said:

Made it up to Mio this afternoon and will be here at least the next 2 weeks or more just 100 yrds from my favorite river, the Au Sable. Got a bigger room this year than I normally get. Lots of room to stretch out and make it home. Gonna be here so long this time I brought all the comforts of home...blue ray/dvd player, rod rack, pretty much everything I need to live happily for the next few weeks including a whole home made hard frosting sheet cake  my Mom made me for the trip. :) Spent most the day getting unpacked and watching movies but got out this evening for a few hours and got a nice lil' smallmouth on the spey rod.

2020 Mio 001.JPG

2020 Mio 004.JPG

2020 Mio 002.JPG

2020 Mio 003.JPG

2020 Mio 005.JPG

On what part are you staying? Just curious.

Nice Steve, looks like an enviable two weeks coming up.  You certainly know how to vacation, my accommodations are usually a hammock and rain tarp slung between to trees.  

2 hours ago, The Mad Duck said:

Basically that there. Just like today/tomorrow. Supposed to be 91f and winds up to 35mph. So I brought the spinner just in case I got sick of trying to cast into that sort of wind. Chances are it won't even come out of the rod rack though. If it is that windy tomorrow I may just watch movies all day and wait till dark to go fishing once it dies down.

Have a good time my friend. I can already feel your stress level coming down. Looking forward to the rest of the trip. Does that say 91 degrees Fahrenheit? Sheesh, that's the part that would kill me.

PS, what movie is that on the flat screen? It looks familiar but I can't place it.

Aaaahhhh.  Peace and quiet and splashing fish ... nothing better.  Sounds like it's started well ... hopefully the 35 mph winds won't stick around.

Almost didn't go out this morning due to the heat, but got out for a couple hours before the water started heating up. Glad I did, nothing beats streamer eating good sized browns before packing it in till the evening. Back relaxing for few hours now till I grab the dry fly rod and head back out late this evening to see if I can find some risers to drakes.

Mark that is one of my dvd's of a fishing film made about the Au Sable called "The River".

1.jpg

2.jpg

Heat? ... phhhttt!

Heat index got to 100 degrees today.  I'll have to admit, that's hot, even for me.  But I still was on the water until about 12:30.  Clouds and threatening thunderstorms ran me off.  I'm glad to see the wind and 😒 heat  😉 didn't prevent you from fishing this morning, Steve.

Nice trout!

First trout on the new 10' 4wt I built myself last week. Real enjoyable evening on the river. Caught about a dozen bows. Nothing real big but was nonstop action for a couple hours and was a nice change of pace fishing nymphs & dries to rising trout after doing so much streamer fishing with the spey rod the past couple years. Had a couple deer sneak up behind me right at dark and snort at me.....I think I about jumped out of the river lol

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Those are pretty.  Like the rod, too.  I've been using the ten footer you built me, too.  It's a little heavy for all day swinging, but it's fun when a fish is on.