Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Cicada

Let’s see your Cicada flys Sportsfans 

FlipFlop foam wings outa lil packing wrap.  Prolly won’t last.   Gonna make a simpler version next...5C556210-3720-42B5-975B-0EB16570721A.thumb.png.ceff36c4c5299de3108bdee4948ea1e7.png

Cicadas were singing in the trees yesterday ... you can hear them in my video.  But I've never seen one on the water ... so I don't tie them.  They're too big!  But that bug you've got in your hand does look like Bass candy!

I was fishing a popular tailwater several years ago. A cicada dropped in the water. I expected a trout to grab it. I have caught a 17 inch rainbow out of the same spot. I watched it drift downstream until it was out of sight. Never saw a trout rise to take it.

I'll apologize in advance for the fuzzy pictures.  They were taken with my first digital camera and I didn't know what I was doing.  I tied these two patterns up 10 or so years in expectation of the hatch of the 17 year locust(cicada) in my immediate area.  One sort of realistic and one not. That's why the colors are weird.  Which turned out to be a bust.  We do have annual cicadas and they do crash land in my local creek on a regular basis.  I was fishing one day and one plopped into the water near me.  I watched it float downstream causing all sorts of commotion.  It got about 50 feet from me and there was a huge swirl and cicada disappeared.  Didn't have any thing that matched it.  Next day I came back to the same spot with the fly below in the first three pictures which is the closest to being a realistic imitation and caught me more fish than the impressionistic one after it.   I made a cast and watched it float downstream, twitching it occasionally.  It disappeared in a swirl, set the hook, and when I got to my net.  It was a 16 3/4 inch smallmouth.  Huge for this stream.  I made a couple more casts and caught a 12 inch smallmouth and a 12 inch largemouth from the same area.  When I was walking back to my car, I was checking out the creek above and it turns out there was a large metal plate  wedged on an angle against a large rock.  The fish I caught must have been under it.  Another time one dropped in upstream from me and it was a hoot watching the sunfish try and grabbed it as it floated by.

IMG_0404.JPG

IMG_0401.JPG

IMG_0400.JPG

IMG_0405.JPG

IMG_0408.JPG

IMG_0407.JPG

What phone? Check to see if there is a Macro setting for closeups. My Android doesn't seem to have that setting.

My son always said you only take fuzzy pictures of Bigfoot.

I use iPhone.  Take sharp pic back some, then magnify by spreading fingers over the screen and hit screen shot to save it.   Solves trying to get close pic in focus.   Screen shot....hit side button and enter button at the same time takes a pic of the display screen.   Then do it again!  Better than sliced bread😛

F21F07B1-C3C2-44DA-A8C1-C3E913D2000E.jpeg

55251FF8-A1D3-437C-80C3-6DF307EFAD08.png

3CEFC51F-51D7-4A06-8A55-6E4AC6AB6892.png

1C1FDFEC-46BA-4601-91D3-83D72CD692EF.png

Philly looks good.   I ve always felt in flies and duck decoys always emphasize  the prominent features rather than exact copies.  The cicada main features are its bright orange eyes, big wings, body shape and legs.   Your first bug does that pretty much. 

90378B5F-0792-4A08-9BFE-EF9628024E26.png

I've had 10 years to improve my picture taking.  I've taken some pictures of flies and fish with my Android phone but still haven't figured out how to get them to my computer.  denduke,  I went looking through my old flies to see if I still had that first one to take a better picture but did find it.  I did find a pig fly that someone sent me.  I got to post that one.  I'll see if I can tie a cicada up.  I've got a well preserved annual cicada along with a couple of Spotted Lantern flies in a plastic container.  The annual cicada is not as gaudy as the 17 year locust.

Can’t you put your phone  photos on SD card then anywhere huh?   I thought  that was why Android was favored because it’s got a microSD cart slot on it.   We iPhone user just have the Cloud...wish they had cards in them.  I down load my pics on a Zip drive from my phone to back it up.   I don’t trust the Cloud... Cant you email them to yourself.  I do that to my puter sometimes...

https://www.androidpit.com/how-to-save-photos-to-the-sd-card?amp=true

Lots simpler cicada with foam strip and crystal flash wings....Even came up with green un....

0424FBB9-264C-4ACB-B254-E437CB56BD5E.jpeg

D6841185-34F5-40B1-BC2A-71586D2FE99A.jpeg

FAA2F403-61B9-41A8-AFE7-08D810A4F594.jpeg

7158B434-D2EF-442B-A4E6-D8C184F8D271.png

I caught two of the biggest Brown Trout I've ever caught on a cicada pattern. Its been 17 years and we're going after the Browns in a couple of weeks. The cicadas are back!

On 6/19/2020 at 11:33 PM, Philly said:

I've had 10 years to improve my picture taking.  I've taken some pictures of flies and fish with my Android phone but still haven't figured out how to get them to my computer.  denduke,  I went looking through my old flies to see if I still had that first one to take a better picture but did find it.  I did find a pig fly that someone sent me.  I got to post that one.  I'll see if I can tie a cicada up.  I've got a well preserved annual cicada along with a couple of Spotted Lantern flies in a plastic container.  The annual cicada is not as gaudy as the 17 year locust.

Google it.  I used to download to my laptop from my Android using a USB cord. Now when I turn on the phone, nothing happens. Did find something "How to do it."