Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Flyguy13

getting ready for panfish

hello everyone,

I am looking for some advice. I am in process of filling my panfish box and I am looking for some easy to tie and effective pattern to use. What I have now is some SMP's, small foam gurglers, suspending gill busters and some small damsels.

Another question I have is: do you guys out there use droppers when fishing for panfish in a lake or a pond ? If so do you tie the dropper on at the bend of the hook or do you tie a long tag off of the knot ?

Thank you in advance for you help

Hey, Flyguy -

Sounds like you've already got an arsenal together. I've been warmwater panfishing since my Dad tossed BlackGnats at Bluegill in the lakes in middle California when I was a tot. Several a while backs I ran across a fun fly that seems to just plain work. It's called the Mackie Bug. It has endless color options. For a picture go here ...

http://ozarkanglers.com/hot_flies.php

As you can see you can tie this simple but productive fly in all kinds of variants.

I don't know what it is about it but panfish love it.

Note - if you include Crappie in your panfish tie the head in pink. For reasons beyond my understanding, Crappie have a "pink thing" going on.

I've tied droppers both ways and I can't tell a difference. But it seems to me that a dropper tied on a long tag might be less inclined to interfere with a hook up on the top fly. Just my notion.

Lots of luck, enjoy.

Dad'sGnat

It's been my experience that there are regional differences in what bluegill like. In some places the bluegill love anything black, and small. However, I have a favorite place for bluegill that I can no longer access. I used to fish it a lot, but I would have offered anyone $100 bill if they could get just one bluegill to take something in black. They just would not touch it! Natural Hare's Ear, however, was dynamite. Size 12 caddis anything did well. Caddis Larva in the early spring, soft hackles a little later, and tan caddis adults in the late spring/early summer were deadly. Tan, or orange scuds were good, and for some stange reason, a yellow sz 6 wooley worm was deadly in the late sprng.

The caveat, is that every place is different. The forage base is key. Water color comes into play, as well. Time of year, time of day, light levels, etc...Dirty water favors poppers, but again, I would have offereda $100 bill to anyone who could have taken a bluegill on a popper on my favorite water. (Hint)- The visibilty, at my favorite water, is down to 15 ft on average. The average 'gill is 3/4 of a pound up to 1 1/2lb. The average Redear is 1 1/4 lb, up to 3 lbs!!!

Simple popper pattern, I call the Fun Foam Popper. I've been using it for about 8 years now. Get some craft foam, and punch out some circles. I use sharpened brass cases. .38, .44, .410 ga, 20 ga. Or in the craft stores you can find bags of prepunched foam circles or hearts.

Here's a picture of one. Not sure if you it will take you to the tying instructions but they are on the site.

http://www.danica.com/flytier/jcaruso/_thu...foam_popper.jpg

If I'm tying for panfish, I like to use the TMC 101 in size.

Sparkleminnow, I do quite well in clear water with poppers, and sliders. Not quite as clear as you describe, but most of the time you can see bottom in 4 to 6 feet of water in the creek. And there are a couple of lakes where the bottom is visible in 10 feet of water that poppers work quite well.