Fly Tying
flytire

What’s a good beer

Story- my father worked in San Antonio, TX, many years ago when the Corona beer hit the US. Noted as a cheap beer in Mexico, according to his Mexican friends.

14 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

I find craft beer to be largely terrible beer with catchy names and stupid high prices. I would reccomend staying away from craft beers with catchy names and anything in the IPA class unless you like really bitter beer. 

I will second NOT trying IPA(India Pale Ale) unless you like drinking pine oil. craft beer guys always say I just don't have a refined palate, and am uncultured because I don't like IPAs. I say I would rather have the roasty, coffee flavors of stouts than pine oil and grapefruit. 

9 hours ago, richmce said:

i grew up with old style and strohs  but some of my preferred tastes are leinekugel original,  guiness and shiner bock.     i like maltier beers and drink them slow

Give the Shiner Holiday Cheer a try this fall!

my dad drank rhinegold many years ago. us kids didnt want to be around when he did

i liked strohs, genesse, michelob etc when i used to drink beers many many years ago.

then i switched to gin. gin makes you sin 🤪 boodles gin from england was my favorite back then

i just want to pick up a six pack just to have a good beer once in awhile

i gave up drinking and smoking in 1995 after my heart attack

Landshark

Stella Artois 

Yuengling

And on the lighter, side nothing beats Bud Light.

Cold beer in a frosty mug is 👏

ipa 🤐, 🤮

I'm a big beer fan. I grew up around my dad who is a homebrewer and thankfully didn't have any issues with alcohol abuse so I was able to gain an appreciation for the craft and product. I generally stick to craft brews but am far from a snob. I still buy the occasional case of Coors Banquet or Miller High Life, and will drink whatever someone offers me. You'll probably have to try a few styles to see what you like now, since it's been a while since you've had anything.

There's a million good craft beers out there now that can keep you busy forever. There are some good beers that are readily available at a price that will make it not such a gamble to try a few out. Killian's is easily found and a good example of an Irish Red, Blue Moon is a good example of a Belgian Wheat Beer, Leinenkugel's offers several different styles and should have good distribution. I'd keep an eye out for Bell's beers as well. I'm partial because they are located in Michigan where I live, but their Two Hearted Ale is a consistent favorite around the country. This is an IPA, but I think it's an accessible IPA that definitely has clear Hops presence, but isn't going to totally assault your tastebuds with bitter pine flavor. Founder's is another Michigan brewery with good distribution. If you want to try a thick, sweet, stout, I'd recommend their Breakfast stout. 

Once you try a few styles and figure out what you like, the world is your oyster. I'd definitely see what your local breweries have to offer too. Or, maybe you'll be content with a domestic lager like Miller or Coors. Above all, enjoy it!

i remember when coors was the mythical beer we couldnt get back east

i drank some when i lived in colorado in the 1980's. not impressed 👎

I don't drink much now, not any type of alcohol, but I do enjoy beer. My kids have got me drinking some of the craft beers, particularly my oldest son. I like some of the IPA's, but agree many do have a taste that you have to acquire a like for and are not for everyone. 

Fat Tire and Sam Adams are two that I like, but there are others. My oldest son lives out in CA, near San Fran and there's several breweries out there that him & his wife like the beer's they produce. I will drink some when we go there to visit.  My wife & I went to HI years ago, and I tried some local beers there that I enjoyed. 

I used to drink the popular beer's, Bud, Papst, etc., but have no desire to drink them now. I'll occasionally drink Yuengling or Blue Moon, but that's about it. 

I have a couple of jars of moonshine in the refrigerator that I'll take a sip now & then. Apple Pie flavor has been the best. They were "legal" and brought back from TN. 

I got a bunch of beer connoisseur friends and I’m sorry but I don’t like any of these new craft beers they have came out with Or any dark beers.

I’ve been drinking Bud Ice since it came out... No other Budweiser just Bud Ice.... It’s about the only beer I will drink if I can’t find that I’ll drink a Blue Moon.

if you’ve never tried a Blue Moon with an orange slice it’s worth a shot it’s really good.

4 hours ago, flykid said:

Blue Moon is a good example of a Belgian Wheat Beer

Blue Moon is OK but is only an attempt at a Belgian, I have been drinking Belgian beers

since the early 80's and have tried many, they are my Favorite.

Chimay Red is a consistent good one, but has a slightly higher ABV (alcohol by volume) @ 7.0

On 7/18/2020 at 2:49 PM, xterrabill said:

Blue Moon is OK but is only an attempt at a Belgian, I have been drinking Belgian beers

since the early 80's and have tried many, they are my Favorite.

Chimay Red is a consistent good one, but has a slightly higher ABV (alcohol by volume) @ 7.0

I will have to try that! I too am a fan of Belgians. I only reference Blue Moon since it's easy to find and affordable. Haven't had Chimay but have seen it and will have to give it a shot. My dad makes a good Belgian too. It seems they are not as easily found as some other styles. Any other good suggestions? 

I think Amber's are another style that might be a little more accessible to people who don't know what they like. I'm partial to Alaskan Amber. Outside of craft beers I can't think of many easily found beers of this style. 

Beer is definitely something where everyone has their own opinions of what's good and no opinion is necessarily correct. (Except mine of course ;) )

On 7/17/2020 at 10:27 PM, petelangevin said:

Take a ride up to Mass,  treehouse brewing in Charlton on route 20,  rated #1 microbrewery on east coast.   Worth the trip.  They do mild ales to barley wines and they do them all good.   

Funny you mention Treehouse Pete- I live about 4 miles from the brewery.  I like beers but I am not a big fan of micro brews.  For those who are Treehouse is one of the best.  The place is mobbed every weekend!

Norm I know you've been to Charlton before from the brewery it's only 51 minutes to the Swift so bring your stuff.   If you don't feel like driving one of my favorites is Sam Adams Boston Larger available everywhere.

flykid,

Here are 3 more to try...

Saison Dupont Farmhouse Ale

Westmalle Trappist

Corsendonk Abbey Brown Ale

besides Chimay Red being my personal favorite.

I have had several bottles of each (not at one time LOL), I tend to stay away from lambic beers,

they have a tendency to be sour and give me heartburn/sour stomach.

Mind these beers are costly and have a higher ABV, I generally only have them on special occasions,

I also don't care very much for many micro brews and IPA's (with the exception of KingFisher ipa on occasion),

most micro beers are amber and taste burnt to my palate or are so hopped up its crazy.

There is a time and a place for most I guess, I like bourbon sometime, zombies other times, and a white Russian some time too besides nice wines

always in moderation .....well almost always.

4 hours ago, DFoster said:

Funny you mention Treehouse Pete- I live about 4 miles from the brewery.  I like beers but I am not a big fan of micro brews.  For those who are Treehouse is one of the best.  The place is mobbed every weekend!

Norm I know you've been to Charlton before from the brewery it's only 51 minutes to the Swift so bring your stuff.   If you don't feel like driving one of my favorites is Sam Adams Boston Larger available everywhere.

I was out that way this morning,  not for beer but to pick up my daughter after a week long horse show in ohio.   

I am actually considering moving that way when i retire.   I need to learn that area.  Our horse is about 10 min away from the quabog river in brookfield.