Fly Tying
haziz

Easiest Catskill Style Dry Flies?

So ... no one is TRULY sure.  Time to stop sniping back and forth, since it really doesn't help the conversation.

I fish the Swift often from late summer to November.  When nothing is hatching the Elk Hair Caddis is my "go to"  dry fly size 14 -18.  I've caught a lot of Swift Rainbows on them.   Another dry producer for me has been the Sedgehammer.  Both flies are fairly easy to tie and the Trout don't seem to care how "perfectly" you tie them.  My first 18" Rainbow on a fly that I tied came from the Swift from on most awful looking size 12 Elk Hair Caddis.  It's now retired on my fishing hat and I'm still a little embarrassed when other fly anglers see it and I have to admit I tied it.  BUT it caught a really nice fish and that's kind of the point right?  Subsurface- small nymphs (20's  on down) produce well out there but getting the fish to hand will present problems when using the little stuff.  Also the Swift is arguably the best Brook Trout fishery in the state-

If you haven't already, try watching youtube vids on tying Castskill style flies.  After you've seen a few you can decide which ones you want to attempt.  If they don't come out perfect that's fine, consider it a learning experience.   As long as you're close they will probably catch fish and catching a fish on a fly you tied will keep you motivated (my wife would say obsessed) to continue.   Just remember tying is a developed skill set and it doesn't happen overnight.   The youtube guy you just watched turn out a perfect Pheasant Tail Nymph in under 6 minutes has been tying for 40+ years and he will make it look easy.    

1 hour ago, mikechell said:

So ... no one is TRULY sure.  Time to stop sniping back and forth, since it really doesn't help the conversation.

Mike 

i don’t think it’s sniping it’s just a discussion .  

44 minutes ago, Mogup said:

Mike 

i don’t think it’s sniping it’s just a discussion .  

Exactly.  Hewitt was certainly known to stretch the truth at times, and it isn't unreasonable that he only claimed to have invented something he's usually given credit for.

The badger bivisible is a favorite of mine and I did well with it when I was your age up in Cape Breton. It took many a speckled trout !

25ACACAC-826D-4B0F-89B9-59C446308F0E.jpeg

No tails?  I've often thought they were extraneous, but always put them in anyway.