Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
haziz

House Brand Material Quality?

I ordered a decent quantity of dubbing from Flyshack. This is their own branded ("Flyshack") material, presumably made by somebody else for them. Now, I wonder if I should have ordered from a more established brand? I simply went with Flyshack since I was making an order for other items from them.

Any experience of their own Flyshack brand dubbing? I suspect it is made by one of the more established brands but is essentially being sold under their OEM label.

Thanks.

I'm not sure who makes their' dubbing but, I think it's really easy to over-think dubbing. Right color-check, right texture-check. How I fly is tied may have more to do with how the dubbing performs than the actual dubbing.

JMHO

Not sure about their dubbing either, but I agree with Mark. I have used their Saber brand hooks with no problems. 

I've also never used their dubbing, and agree with Mark, that it can be over thought. I mix most of my own, but have used various brands and the various materials and never found one that I couldn't use, or couldn't mix it with something to fit my own uses.

I've also never tied a lot of dry flies, so dubbing I've used has been for subsurface. As long as it doesn't absorb a lot of water, then that's really all you need from a dubbing for dry flies. Then there's the color.  For subsurface, there's no limitations as long as the dubbing can be applied to the hook sizes you're using. For the most part, I like dubbing that's fur based, such as rabbit. I can do a lot with that.

Some folks use cloth dryer lint for dubbing, so how critical can it be? 🙄

I have used from mammoth (really) to my cats and my dogs fur and all (or most) of the commonly used materials (synthetic and natural), all, with favorable results (for the fly I was tying at the time).

I think you will find that it will be fine really should be similar to other brands. For me when I need more and need to refill dubbing boxes I like to be able order same as what I have been using. Plus you will eventually buy a box here and oh I like that for this and oh I need that and oh yeah I can use this and then before you know it you will have more dubbing than you will use in three life times. I am guilty and I would bet that there are other that will say the same make it fun and like others have shared don't over think it