Fly Tying
fatpossum

Entomology Workshop

I'm a new member to the forum and would like suggestions. As part of my vacation this summer I would like to take a workshop focusing on bugs trout like to eat. I've been fly fishing for several years and usually grab what looks good. I would like a more systematic approach, gathering bugs, matching the hatch and making a more educationed quess. I live in northeastern oregon and am willing to travel anywhere east of and including the rockies. I'm also willing to go to Alberta or British Columbia.

Thanks

Bill

Union Oregon

QUOTE (fatpossum @ Mar 24 2005, 01:48 AM)
I'm a new member to the forum and would like suggestions.  As part of my vacation this summer I would like to take a workshop focusing on bugs trout like to eat.  I've been fly fishing for several years and usually grab what looks good.  I would like a more systematic approach, gathering bugs, matching the hatch and making a more educationed quess.  I live in northeastern oregon and am willing to travel anywhere east of and including the rockies.  I'm also willing to go to Alberta or British Columbia. 

Thanks

Bill
Union Oregon

Bill-

You're in luck. There is very good entomology workshop conducted in Maupin on the Deschutes River by professional entomologist, Rick Hafele. I attended his presentation at the Fly Show in Bellevue, WA some weeks ago, and I can tell you that he is very good. He has also written a number of excellent flyfishing entomology books, several co-authored with Dave Hughes.

This is a description of his workshop off his website, www.laughingrivers.com

Western Hatches Streamside Workshop with Rick Hafele

A full day (6 hours) class that gives first-hand experience in collecting, identifying and learning to imitate the important Western hatches. Class begins with 3-hours of slides and lecture. Then 4-hours of hands-on collecting and observing the aquatic insects in their natural environment, plus understanding how to select and fish effective patterns and proper presentation techniques for nymphs, wet flies and dries.

Contact John at Deschutes Canyon Fly Shop in Maupin, OR for more information.

Call: 541-395-2565

I gave John a call a few minutes ago, and he is offering a seminar on July 15. The price is $75 for the day. He also has one in May, but I am assuming you are either a student of teacher, and couldn't attend that early.

Hope this information is useful to you. Let me know how it turns out.