Fly Tying
Landon P

I CANT SEW!

Don't utilize gel flote as just about everything floats in saltwater unless properly weighted & Mike probably fishes more freshwater as haven't even walked across the street to rip some lips off bass in quite a while....as for sewing there's 3 different sewing machines that haven't been used in a few years & as for neon thread not even for fly tying recipes.

Here is my main sewing project that I did--a "tool roll" to hold woodcarving chisels made from an old pair of jeans.   Not easy to sew through 4 layers of denim and I had to sew on the triangle on the right by hand (notice, by examining both ends of the design, that you really *need* that feature though).   It was not an original idea, I got the idea from an episode of  The WoodWright's shop with Roy Underhill, which had a carver named Mary - Something on (sorry, I forget, "Mary Woodcarver"?) who did it before me. It seemed like a "cool idea" at the time (I'm too impressionable!)  The project taught me "everything I know" about sewing (even how to thread the machine).  I imagine it could be adopted to knife sheaths, or other useful stuff if desired (just add a leather insert)!  The material is cheap!  : )

image.thumb.jpeg.6a67ed449df656dc43bebeaab7e0164d.jpeg

6 hours ago, vicente said:

I assumed your rod socks came with the blanks. I need to find someone to do my knife sheaths for me, I can do it but I'm lazy and don't like too.

The plain black ones do. The custom color matching ones, I have a seamstress that I have make to match the rod.

Okay how is that thing used with gel float? By the way, I consider my sewing machine a valuable tool in my arsenal of tools just like my saws, drills, sanders, lathes, welders, vises and torches. Dare I say a sewing machine takes sewing to a whole new level of fun and adventure. 

SD, I never thought of making rod socks. Socks would be an excellent and simple skill building sewing project with a useful prize at the end.