Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
haziz

LEAST Flossy GSP Thread?

I generally prefer "chorded" and round thread e.g. Uni thread, and find "flossy" threads difficult to deal with. I would like to branch out into GSP. There seems to be three marketers of the GSP thread in the US. They are all flossy to some extent, which I regard as a negative, but as best as I can tell there maybe a difference in how tightly they are spun/wound. Which is the LEAST flossy [i.e. most chord like] of the brands?

Thanks.

1 hour ago, samsonboi said:

Uni makes a great GSP thread. They also make Uni-Kevlar. Try theirs, if you like their thread.

Is it braided or chord like, like their usual thread?

Thanks.

I bought some to use on some of my larger foam flies.  Not real happy with it.  It's a bugger to cut with my scissors and at times I have the frayed floss look to the end where I cut it.  I just brought some Big Fly thread and 3/0 thread to replace it.  What I mostly use it for now is to build bodies or heads on a few of my patterns.

I don't know if what you are asking for exists. All of the GSP I have used is flat unbonded (flossy) thread. You can twist it up by spinning you bobbin.

GSP has its place, but also has its drawbacks. It's very slick and as Philly pointed out, can be hard to cut cleanly. I find micro-serrated scissors to work best. I see a lot of beginners drawn to it because they are breaking their thread. I find that you can almost always get by with something more user friendly.

UNI GSP is called UNI-Cord so maybe it is corded. I have ordered some in 12/0 for making deer hair puffballs for Piggyback emergers. 

here is a good article on thread including a thread chart

https://globalflyfisher.com/tie-better/fly-tying-thread-table

as @Jaydub mentions you can twist the ribboned/flossy thread back into a rope

also waxing gsp thread can help

and there are time when a flat thread is okay (split thred dubbing technique). i like a flat thread when tying head on flies. nice smooth finish rather than a washboard finish

16 hours ago, samsonboi said:

UNI GSP is called UNI-Cord so maybe it is corded. I have ordered some in 12/0 for making deer hair puffballs for Piggyback emergers. 

I recommend getting a super cheap bobbin holder dedicated to gsp, doesn't need to have a glass tip or anything, gsp tends to make your bobbin holder all nasty and gunked up.

I’ve got several bobbins so I could certainly dedicate one to GSP. I have a few cheapies I keep above my bench in case I need one and don’t want to bother changing thread on my Ekich if I’m only gonna tie a couple flies with that color and put it away, so I can use one of those for the GSP.

I have a spool of the Kevlar thread, it's corded a fly shop recommended it to me for deer hair,  it kinda sucks, it cuts through hair way too easily, the flossyness of gsp is a big help in being able to wrap tightly without cutting your material.