Fly Tying
Fish Finder

Pearsall and Langley Gone, But Others?

I use Kimono when I tie with silk, have not had a problem with it breaking or the fish ignoring it.  

There are those on this and other forums who tout the traditional use of Pearsall's, but in my limited reading of older fly tying/fishing books, I have not come across references to Pearsalls, just silk thread/floss, its only later in the 1900's that it seems to pop up, so I don't buy the Pearsall's hype.  

That said, buy a bobbin of each in your favorite color to sate your curiosity.    I'd be happy to send you a bit of the different Kimono colors I have to help with that OCD.  

Morus pretty much is Pearsall's.  It's a bit pricey, but I can't tell the difference.

Thanks for this post.  I am focused on soft hackles right now, so this is timely for me.

I bought Bob Smith's North Country Flies book on eBay way cheaper than on Amazon. It's hard copy and is well worth the purchase.  Among other things, he also doesn't buy the Pearsall's hype.  But that's what he used to tie the flies in the book and I think it's also what he uses in general.   Among other things he said about Persall's is that the colors likely varied from run to run and year to year, so there really was not precise standardization on color.