Fly Tying
Akropers

Polar Bear Patterns

For years, I have been collecting bits and pieces of polar bear (all legal!) and I'm ready to use some of my limited supply, but I want to make the best use of it.  I'll be fishing for rainbows and salmon.

So imagine for a moment that you have access to a supply of polar bear hair in various sizes and colors, but you are restricted to tying and fishing only one or two patterns.  What patterns would you choose to tie?  Why would you choose those specific patterns?

Let's hear your best ideas!

Take a look at some of Preston Jennings streamer patterns here .  They will give you some ideas to at least get started with some of the colors that you may have. 

Regards,

Mark

Art Flick's original Black Nosed Dace called for brown bucktail over black bear over polar bear.  If you need a minnow / streamer pattern then this would be a good one.  Flick fished New York and Pennsylvania and the BND was the only minnow pattern he recommended.  Most people tie the all bucktail variation due to the scarcity of polar bear.

Hook: Streamer 4-10

Thread: Black

Tag: Red Yarn

Body: Silver tinsel

Rib: round silver tinsel (or wire)

Wing: Brown bucktail over black over white 

Throat: Red hackle (optional)

BND Trio Bucktail.jpg

Pull the long hair off in bunches rather than cutting it. Then, when you’ve finished all the long hair, use the underfur for dry fly dubbing. Dye it orange and use it for the Au Sable Wulff- apparently Fran Betters had a big piece of polar bear that he only tied flies for himself with. He loved the stuff and supposedly it’s got the same fiber structure as Australian Possum.

What’s nice about polar bear is it’s very tough, floats well and i believe it to Fluoresce

Actually polar hair turns translucent when it’s wet... and really takes dye quite well.  Noticeably  stiffer than bucktail, it also has a very dense under fur.  One other quality that endeared it to saltwater tyers is that unlike most natural hairs polar bear hair can take a hit or two from toothy critters like ‘cudas, mackerel, and even bluefish and not get cut...

I’ve had a pound or so from an old rug for many years but always very carefully never used it in any if the orders I filled for shops.  Now that it’s been a few years since I’ve tied commercially,  it’s time to use it (or lose it...).  As a result I’ve been doing a bit of experimenting with what I have...

I’ve done up a variety of clousers, a few Crazy Charlie’s, some Gotchas,  and a few odd ball items that need some use before I take them seriously... Will try to find time to take some photos and post them up.

2 hours ago, cphubert said:

2+ on the Alaskan Mary Ann, one of my favorites

👍

I agree that most of the old classic steelhead patterns have polar bear wings.  To me, they are among the prettiest flies out there and they still work.  I had some polar given to me and bought some two weeks ago at an Oregon fly shop.  All legal.  It is a bit difficult to work with compared to calf or bucktail, but it has  different look that I like.  I would also think that any flies that ask for a white wing would look great.  I ordered some Seal from Feathercraft to complete the whole motif.  

An all round winner for me has been a simple orange and white polar bear clouser

DSC_0685.thumb.JPG.a57141de850e3cfb40e8874083964c52.JPG