Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
MuskyFlyGuy

Battered popper

Fishing with a popper the other day and casting to structure. A smallie came and inspected the popper on the left side. Another pop and it went behind and inspected it again. All fins were in motion. Another pop and it moved to o the right side, inspected it more and gently sipped the popper. A nice fight, brought to the boat, a quick photo, and a release. It seemed larger in the water. However, it really messed up the popper I have been catching fish on the past several weeks. 
A1C138D8-E3DB-4385-A5BC-31901E2BD494.jpeg.8a9932e14f00b3a155223fd0001240e8.jpegThe nice thing about tying your own, is that you can repair them. 
F540D17C-9AA1-42AA-8F00-443DE030E5A5.jpeg.ccf8e1b4560a9dbaf2ffff012881a80a.jpegThe eyes show the amount of fish contact and the foam shows wear and tear, but I am looking forward to using it again. It must give off the right sounds and vibrations. 

Definitely worked that popper over.  Wear and tear from catching too many fish.   I usually just scrap the fly and tie another one.  

Nice story, those torn up flies are hard to let go, they seem to fish better sometimes. I agree with richmce, frame that photo! I keep a box full of "memory flies", and many of them are simply flies that are worn from a good day/season of fishing, just like your popper. I hope to put them in a shadow box on my wall some day.

I really enjoy repairing a fly that has seen a lot of action. I don't have an explanation for it, I just like to do that. I usually have plenty of each pattern, so it is not as if I need to.

There's a place on my tying bench (an old surplus metal office desk...) that has a small pile of flies "to be re-cycled" then will go back in service... The requirements ?  The hook is still in good shape (fishing in saltwater means paying attention any older hooks that you want to use again...) and at least some of the fly (the rear portion mostly) is still in good enough shape for re-use...   Here's a pic of three that recently went back into service after hard use... 

aI7S1Y0.jpg

I prefer wire weedguards on any fly that can have them...  One of the downsides to using wire for weedguards is that it will break away after a few hard contacts (or fish bites) so will need to be re--done - and that's all that's involved in a few cases... In others the first step is a single edged razor blade that cuts away all of the old materials while I save what can be re-used...  The Everglades are hard on gear, period... 

I very seldom refurbish beat up flies.  If I need or like the style hook I used I'll take a razor blade to the fly and recycle the hook.   These two were the first salt water poppers I made that I caught fish on.  They're a reminder of what even a small bluefish(snapper blues), can do some damage.  There's still a blood stain on the cork handle  of the rod I used that day where one of the little buggers grabbed my finger when I was unhooking it.

P4150205.JPG

P4150200.JPG

P4150202.JPG

P4150204.JPG