Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
hexfli

Hackle and Hackle Pliers

I'm a pretty well seasoned tier but there is a one small problem that I need some outside advice to help me out. I have about 4 different styles of hackle pliers and I keep running into the same problem. The hackle or herl that I am wrapping tends to either slip out while I am wrapping or it breaks off just below where it is being grabbed by the hackle pliers. So my question is this: Is there a secret to keep the hackle/herl from slipping out of the pliers while wrapping and/or is there a super set of hackle pliers that I should be using?

Thanks for the help

I don't know about a super set but I only buy the ones with nice wide wings on the sides which makes squeezing them lots easier and they must have some soft plastic or rubber stretched around one of the jaws. this eliminates any slipping of the hackle as for breaking the hackle have you thought about easing off of the caffiene? biggrin.gif I don't know anyone who doesn't occasionally break some hackles. On herl I always twist my herl and thread together into a rope and then wind it on this ends the problem of breaking it and it reinforces it for a more durable fly.

Have fun and good Luck. cool.gif

Temco's have always worked very well for me the little vinyl sleeve on the one jaw I think makes it grip better you could try to put a slip of Larva Lace on the ones you have and see if that helps.

Hex... I use the E-Z pliers type I bought at Radio Shack. I've used them for awhile and don't have a problem with stem breakage anymore. I think the Shack sells them for around $1.50 if I remember right. It may be more since it's been awhile since I bought one.

Mike

The little rubber sleeve on one of the jaws is what keeps it from slipping out as the guys already mentioned. Far as breaking, we all have that problem from time to time it just takes getting a feel for the breaking point.

Hi hexfli,

My favorite hackle pliers are the old style from Thompson: the ones with a metal foot on one side and a rubber foot on the other. They are kind of clunky but seem to hold the hackle well for me. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Not really on your topic directly, but I've found that using a rotary vise seems to help reduce hackle breakage. If you're tying with a stationary vise I'd wager the hackle breaks when transferring the hackle from one hand to the other. Another alternative to the rotary vise is to use rotary hackle pliers which allow you to spin the hackle around the shaft without changing hands.

Well it seems I may be in the minority here(that's a shock), but I never use hackle pliers. I used them when I started tying and they gave me the same kind of problems and I was contstantly looking for them whenever I needed them. Personally I like the control of just using my fingers because I can feel the tension that I'm putting on the material. I have been able to wrap just about anything without any problems dunno.gif

Smallie... I'd love to be able to use just my fingers, but sometimes Art H. Ritis says nope. The fingers don't work as well as they used to. To quote a friend of mine... Getting older isn't bad, but the symptoms sure suck.

Mike

QUOTE (SmallieHunter @ Mar 25 2005, 10:05 PM)
Well it seems I may be in the minority here(that's a shock), but I never use hackle pliers

Thats because you dont use much hackle to tie the banjo minnow for them fish you catch Willy tongue.gif

I put the Larvae Lace on my E-Z Grip hackle pliers which I use for ropes of peacock or pheasant. For the English style I couldn't get the LarvaeL over the bulge, so used shrink tube. I also used emery paper to smooth the edges of the English style grippers.

The Griffin cheap'os work for me. They hold the hackle just fine till the spring wears out. If you have small fingers that work how they should try them like smalliehunter. That worked great for me till I broke from my knuckles down on my right hand.

I use the inexpensive ones with metal on one side and rubber on the other and just try and be careful about the amount of pressure I apply. As well, I try and not jerk on the hackle if I have to hand it from one hand to another.

I also have a couple old pairs of Thompson hackle pliers with the crosshatched brass on one side and rubber on the other. They work well for me. Somewhere or other I've got a couple of the English type of hackle pliers, but I never use them anymore. They never held the hackle very well.Most of the time i can find one of the thompson models, otherwise I just use my fingers.

Mark Delaney