Fly Tying
Pbass

Pictures of cool reels!

9 hours ago, Capt Bob LeMay said:

Here's an old picture of one of the Nautilus reels I hand my customers... This one's a 10wt reel and the fly is one of my signature patterns - a Tarpon Snake.. Since many modern reels are done using computer controlled machining the place where they make these reels is dead silent, much much different than the old Fin Nor manufacturing facility.  I'm very fortunate since both were within 30 minutes of my house.... Fin Nor has been gone from south Florida for quite a few years now... Nautilus is still going strong.  Because of how they're made it's a simple matter to have your name on the reel if you choose.  This sample is the only one I have with that feature since if and when I sell it... having a name on a reel is not a great selling point.... I like these Nautilus reels enough that I currently have a half dozen of them... from an 8wt up to 12 wts....

It is cool to have but I experienced the resale issue with a Winston Rod that had my name on it. 

18 hours ago, johnnyquahog said:

The Pfleuger Medalist series, especially those made in the USA, has to be one of the most simple, reliable, popular, numerous reels ever manufactured.  They can still be found in great condition.  I still have at least a half dozen and use them frequently but this is by far the oldest one I have.

I don't think any reel list would be complete without one of these!

I can't wait until I get home.  I'm going to photograph all my vintage White River reels and submit them here.  Oh, and I have one Okuma from when Gander Mountain had it's going-out-of-business sales.  And all my high tech automatic reels, too!

19 minutes ago, mikechell said:

I can't wait until I get home.  I'm going to photograph all my vintage White River reels and submit them here.  Oh, and I have one Okuma from when Gander Mountain had it's going-out-of-business sales.  And all my high tech automatic reels, too!

Do it! I posted my high tech Automatic!

Most fly reels aren't used for much more than a place to hold your line - lightweight and reel size are all that's needed (and maybe some long term support for the occasional part that wears out after years of use).  Saltwater requires heavier, more durable, reels with a no fail drag that hold enough line but in some cases there really are fish and circumstances that can destroy even a high end saltwater reel... I recently had an angler that broke the handle (it snapped right off while fighting a 60lb tarpon up inside a small river) with a fish on - and no matter how hard you try using a reel without a handle won't work unless all that's needed is to hand strip the line in with a fish on the bitter end... 

The good news for folks in my world is that one of those high end reels is a lifetime proposition - and some of them will endure years of hard use then be in good enough shape to pass on to someone else... Of course every angler wants "new and shiny" ...

Here’s a couple “cool”  reels. 

First off, the Martin 62. This simple little reel is what I learned on when I first started fly fishing as a kid with my dad for bluegill. Probably around 25 years ago. I also carried it to the smokies every summer until I graduated high school. It’s been on a 3 wt the last few years and balances it out perfectly.  The clicker disappeared years ago, but the reel still does the job of holding line just fine. It’s the stripping it off too fast that can create a hassle. It never gets cleaned and still rides with me almost everyday.

The ocean city 305 was given to me by and elderly gentlemen when I was in high school. He knew my love of fishing and I helped with yard work around his house. Before he passed, he entrusted me with a nice collection of old rods, reels , and antique tackle. Of which included an old bamboo fly rod, a heddon pal, an old fenwick ultralight, and a couple metal fishing rods . 

I have several automatics also. Need to get pics one day. 

D8629E4A-FFE5-4E7F-B4D2-8615F3379C9C.jpeg

F7BDC93C-BC51-4B06-B1A5-21AEB6C6C555.jpeg

D4A6CEC6-F2EB-4BF9-AFBC-AE60FFDC31F4.jpeg

72644B72-8DD8-4AF4-A2F6-6B55AC7DE343.jpeg

Here’s one my grandfather made probably in the mid forties. My dad said he made two. I’d like to find the other one. DB7AEE00-ABC7-4F36-91A1-BDD045E5D27E.thumb.jpeg.7084be2954645fe78cec9c960b620e1e.jpeg7F2F7006-05B7-483B-8CF1-C9ABEE14BA85.thumb.jpeg.1f6dec1ec4e8c2d2436c752d85c2c095.jpeg64C07960-920A-4433-930B-C2B79ABDEB36.thumb.jpeg.cf7eb26bb9c3f9f1f7ca1139e77e2982.jpeg

Thanks for revivng this old thread... Here's another from my saltwater gear - it's a Fin Nor Classic #2 made back when the company was still up and running in Miami about 30 years ago now.... This one's a bit unusual with a rim control spool (very few ever made with that type of spool...),  it was made near the last years of Fin Nor before the company was sold off (and eventually like every other reel outfit re-started over in the Orient someplace... and was never the same).

The fly with it is a blue Silhouette in size 1/0 - this reel is meant for an 8 or 9wt line... 

H3Miraf.jpg

VRz2bAJ.jpg

Had the opportunity over the last few years to help a friend (a former SA guy) dispose of hoards of rods, reels and flies.  Among them were 7 SA System 3 reels and this Loop reel.  These big guys were heavy.

PA121254.thumb.JPG.761d57caf86bea541a8ce7520535b6da.JPGPA121262.thumb.JPG.96d545caa4ec7e7eee23004d5d86a0ba.JPGPA121264.thumb.JPG.6943888e02d24c61631fd1a3a7da43e0.JPGPA121265.thumb.JPG.a2404b43d03f67761f93344e9801bb57.JPG

DSC_0030.thumb.JPG.6ae675bd5d6e82c63bcc28950251188b.JPG

DSC_0031.thumb.JPG.f7d3b1ab8d0a76431b3ab5d69e477a3c.JPG

DSC_0032.thumb.JPG.c99dbe932310d361aae5dfc6b27677e1.JPG

DSC_0033.thumb.JPG.e5922b88a8a68e0589373298794cc94f.JPG

I built a shop for the owner of quantum this summer. we started talking fishing and he tells me they build fly reels on slow days. he gave me this reel the next day. this reel is so light and has no gears. I haven't used it yet but I do have a 4wt to put it on for grayling and rainbows.  

Very nice reels, I love the old ones.  

@Upstate - that's a treasure. You mean your grandfather designed/machined it?  Pretty impressive.  I'm trying to figure out how its held together.  I only see two screws on each side, but they don't seem to line up with the pillars.  Are the screws for a line guard?  

2 hours ago, niveker said:

Very nice reels, I love the old ones.  

@Upstate - that's a treasure. You mean your grandfather designed/machined it?  Pretty impressive.  I'm trying to figure out how its held together.  I only see two screws on each side, but they don't seem to line up with the pillars.  Are the screws for a line guard?   

As far as I know he designed and machined it. He worked for Ithaca gun back in hay day. He was a skilled machinist, tool and die maker and could fix about anything. I wouldn’t be surprised if he had help from some or his buddies in the design, machining process though. A lot of talent at the factory back then. It’s one of my most prized possessions, and I’m very thankful to have it

the screws go to a line guard. 
25158577-74EE-4182-98EE-2725957EA4FB.thumb.jpeg.b016a3213c0beec27ac19114886b1e8a.jpeg

I’m not quite sure how the posts are secured. Close up here. Connection on the top. 20EEF8DF-0363-4E39-B43F-6AA2E47059CE.thumb.jpeg.44e4520034e466379c6edc1588fc927a.jpeg