Fly Tying
flytire

pc vs mac

About 7 months ago, I installed LInux on my OLD Lenovo.  Completely removed the Windows OS, and the Old Ideapad works much better.  After a month of using the old one, I loaded Linux onto my New Lenovo.  This time I setup a dual but install.  I can still access the Window OS, but almost never do.  I have never used any of the Apple products.  

Mac for sure- best laptop out there. For a desktop- I don’t know, but I imagine that it’s just as good although the desktop might even be faster. They have a cylindrical tower style computer too, it’s like 10 grand or something but it’s one of the fastest home computers in the world (for graphic designers and such people who need incredible image rendering)

Or try Ubuntu with your desktop.

On 8/21/2020 at 10:51 AM, samsonboi said:

Mac for sure- best laptop out there.

I guess the key question, or the first question one should ask, is "What do I need it to do?".  "Best" is really relative. I believe that they don't put name brand components in the systems at BestBuy that are as good (in terms of their lifespan) as those I selected for the 5.5 year old system that I'm using now. Many manufacturers "cut corners" on components like power supplies when they can.  For some, "Best" means cheapest. For others, "Best" means a fast graphics card. For others (like me), "Best" means a fast/responsive  CPU and long term reliability (which is not too expensive in the long run).  I'm not the type who needs a new car every 3 years...    I know some who build systems inexpensively using older components.  They probably get the "most bang for their buck", but so far I haven't gone that route.  If things don't get "more interesting" (i.e.,  I don't need "more cores"), I may go that route the next time around, who knows.. Hope this is helpful.

I used to teach a course in which I told  the students on the first day that I wanted them to "Build a birdhouse for me", figuratively.  Discussing this at some length, I would have to work very, very (VERY)  hard to get them to ask me, "For what type of bird?".  So, to make an analogy now, I would say that choosing the "best laptop or desktop" is a lot like choosing the "best birdhouse".  Figure out, first, which bird is going to use it and what they need it to do!  : )   This may seem "backwards", but, if you have specific needs,  you should, probably, shop for software before shopping for hardware. And only after doing both, make your final decision.  They don't call them "computer systems" for nothing...