Fly Tying
haziz

Hungarian Partridge Sexism?

Another link with even more info on the differences between the two. It's from the owner of Cookshill Fly Tying over in the UK. He skins and cures pretty much all the pelts he sells. His stuff is very high quality.   https://www.flyfishing-and-flytying.co.uk/articles/view/quality_control_what_determines_quality_in_natural_fly-tying_materials/

40 minutes ago, flytire said:

Fly tyers sure have a way at making things difficult 😀👍

Yes they can. I kind of like all that stuff though.

Guilty as charged...

Turns out my own partridge pelt now looks like it's a female... 

🙄

Which helps prove that, often as not, ignorance is bliss

😎

Good info in this thread, thank you. 

45 minutes ago, chugbug27 said:

often as not, ignorance is bliss

Of that, I am a living testament.    

On 8/21/2020 at 10:02 PM, Mark Knapp said:

It's not really the sex of the bird that's of concern, it's the color of the sex of the bird. I think.

Most times when we buy a bird we try to get a brightly colored one to get the best looking fly. Males seem to be brighter most times. It might make a difference to a fish. At least, that's what I think.

There is a distinct difference in color between the males and females.  The females have a distinct dark barring and the males have the reddish brown often washed out barring. The photo above with the red barring on the wings is a good example of a male partridge.  The photo just a couple posts up is of a female.   Brightness ( I think you are talking about the contrast?  And I think we are actually in agreement) is usually due to the health/condition of the bird or the season. Of course this can also vary with genetics and age.  I think the attractive property of partridge is the softness and the clarity of barring not really the color differences..  I personally prefer female skins but I still doubt the fish care.

One issue I find with the European birds is that most of them are farm raised then released for hunting.  It is my belief, but I can't prove it, is that over years of captive breeding the genetics have washed out the distinct coloration that you might otherwise find in wild birds.  There is some noticeable differences as the beaks of the these birds have an overbite almost raptor look and their behavior is different than wild birds. Most of the guys over the big blue will also tell you there is no such thing as a Hungarian Partridge.  Only English or Grey Partridge.  Don't get me started on that one.   I know that most of the wild birds I hunted in NE Oregon had extremely distinct barring, both males and females.  The contrast had almost a 3D effect.  I rarely ever see this in "name brand" birds.  

Sorry, I missed the couple links above, which stated pretty much what I wrote.