Fly Tying

Great tie/tye?!  Makes me realize just how ham-fisted I am at the vise. 

This alone justifies Steve's decision to bring this sub site back. 

Rocco

I’m thinking about putting a couple of tutorials together starting out with some simple techniques that may shed some light on this style of fly tieing / tying

6 hours ago, Bruce Derington said:

I’m thinking about putting a couple of tutorials together starting out with some simple techniques that may shed some light on this style of fly tieing / tying

Yes. Do it, do it.

On 8/23/2020 at 5:57 AM, Bruce Derington said:

Add me to the "I'd sure appreciate that" list.

50 minutes ago, Bruce Derington said:

So , it will take a few days guys, still working full time.

Can't speak for the others but I'm sure the wait will be more than worth it. Thank you Bruce.

So I’ve done some thinking /searching in my  stuff, on where to start with these fancy flies and came across some old stacked wings which are meant for fishing but kinda look artistic. There are some unique steps that you may find interesting and doesn’t cost much in materials or hooks. 
Classic materials are expensive and If you don’t know, so are hand made hooks, and I fear saying hand  made because there is a certain tier that when he hears THAT I’m sure first thought to him will be I can make those, and there very little forging involved:). Anyway, these are pretty easy to tie, but I’m trying to decide to do this step by step pics or do short videos. Here are some examples, some of which were fished

9BD9CB7E-6421-4D75-9844-070FCAE1808B.jpeg

Great flies.

Not sure who in the world you could be thinking of but now that you mention hand made hooks, I have made my own steel (I'd have to make it into wire) from Alaskan ore and I think it would be the coolest thing in the world to have some flies tied and made from 100 percent Alaskan stuff, by hand. ( Norm, do you think that's absurd?)

I'll be out on an extended fishing trip/moose hunt till Sept. 16th (I leave in the morning Wed.) with only one small jaunt through town in between. Please don't think I lead you on and then ignored your posts. I'm eagerly looking forward to following this.

2 hours ago, Bruce Derington said:

Anyway, these are pretty easy to tie, .... Here are some examples, .....

9BD9CB7E-6421-4D75-9844-070FCAE1808B.jpeg

Those look great. I'm looking forward to this a lot. Thanks Bruce

14 hours ago, Bruce Derington said:

So I’ve done some thinking /searching in my  stuff, on where to start with these fancy flies and came across some old stacked wings which are meant for fishing but kinda look artistic. There are some unique steps that you may find interesting and doesn’t cost much in materials or hooks. 
Classic materials are expensive and If you don’t know, so are hand made hooks, and I fear saying hand  made because there is a certain tier that when he hears THAT I’m sure first thought to him will be I can make those, and there very little forging involved:). Anyway, these are pretty easy to tie, but I’m trying to decide to do this step by step pics or do short videos. Here are some examples, some of which were fished

(Pictures cut for brevity)

Bruce, I'm more a fan of STS rather than videos, but I'd be more than happy with whatever you're more comfortable with.  Question, when you say stacked wings do you mean married?