Fly Tying
flytire

Utah Killer Bug

5 hours ago, flytire said:

squatch will polish it up if and when i make another video 

giphy-downsized.gif

Nice work Norm!  As far as your vise is concerned -

When I was a young boy I remember going with my parents to traveling fire arms exhibit of historic guns.  They had beautiful hand guns and rifles, some gold plated, most in glossy burl wood cases lined with velvet .  They were presentation pieces manufactured for dignitaries and heads of state etc.

At the end of the exhibit was pistol and the tag said it belonged to Jesse James.  It was rusted and missing part of the grip.   I asked "why's it all beat up"?   A guy in line said "because that ones been used". 😮

17 hours ago, mikechell said:

It's probably Squatch fur on the vise to begin with !

Wait, was 'Squatch tying on it or was Norm using Squatch fur that he surreptitiously plucked from the sleeping former owner?

nope

i'm not one of those tyers who clip little dogs and cats and squatches for fur to to tie flies

giphy-downsized.gif

I figure ... as close as Norm and Squatch seem to be ... the big monkey was just walking around in the tying room and shedding all over everything.

7 hours ago, flytire said:

nope

i'm not one of those tyers who clip little dogs and cats and squatches for fur to to tie flies

Now thats funny! LOL

Very nice video. I didn’t even notice if the vice was dusty. I was watching for technique, not whether or not the vice was dusty. But I have a couple of questions. First, what kind of scissors were you using? It seemed that they cut nice and close and didn’t leave a tag end to have to cover up with additional wraps. The second question is about your ending with half hitches instead of a whip finish. Do you finish off all your flies this way? Why half hitches instead of a whip finish? I’m not being critical. I just would like to know your thoughts about this.

BB

7 hours ago, breambuster said:

Very nice video. I didn’t even notice if the vice was dusty. I was watching for technique, not whether or not the vice was dusty. But I have a couple of questions. First, what kind of scissors were you using? It seemed that they cut nice and close and didn’t leave a tag end to have to cover up with additional wraps. The second question is about your ending with half hitches instead of a whip finish. Do you finish off all your flies this way? Why half hitches instead of a whip finish? I’m not being critical. I just would like to know your thoughts about this.

BB

thank you

1. i use fiskar scissors 

R8bSXuc.jpg

2. Half hitches - its my personal preference to finish the fly head with half hitches. i just never got used to using a whip finish tool (i have tried the thompson style whip finisher).

yes, i finish all of my flies with half hitches. it works for me and my fly heads do not come unraveled.

whether or not half hitches are better than whip finish, i dont know. thats a subject for a different thread

Thanks, Flytire. I sure would like to see more videos of you tying various patterns. Wet and Dry Fly tutorials would be great. 

Thanks for posting this one.

BB

Those Fiskars are some of the best scissors for the money you can find.  They make all sizes and you can use the 40% off coupons at Hobby Lobby and Michaels.

Long, long time ago we called KILLER BUG. 

I bought the fist publication of "Nymphs and the trout" -F. Sawyer, 1958-. in 1958 I have been fly-fishing for 70 years (and still fly-fishing) 

Could you please point out the difference between the two. I don't see any (of such an importance to change the name of the fly)

Thank you very much!