Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SalarMan

Green Highlander - Now and Then

I was looking through my photo files and ran across this one from a few years ago. I did a classic Green Highlander (Pryce-Tannatt version) along with a hairwing version for comparative purposes...as in what we tie and fish today versus 100 years ago +or-.

The classic is on a 3/0 Ronn Lucas, Sr. Phillips Jones model hook and the hairwing is a size 4 Partridge standard salmon hook.

I've also included a photo of the frame job I did on these 2 flies.

1859773010_DSC_0018(2).thumb.JPG.365fa51bd12ada8e8385184a465f51b3.JPG1280860875_DSC_0013(2).thumb.JPG.0fa39aa8f756cee2f161a1b23126c2a5.JPG

Both are very well dressed! I like the comparison between the two. Also, I think Ronn's Phillips-Jones is my favorite hook from him, just love the shape and the grace.

Great set, both are worthy of the frame! Thank you for posting this I need the inspiration to open my classic material boxes. 

Thank you gents!!!

I agree with you flykid, I always liked that hook model ever since my first purchase from Ronn. I have other models of course, but this is generally my first go to hook.

The hairwing was NOT tied specifically for the frame by the way...it was just a fly taken out of a fishing box in my vest. Could have been better for framing purposes, but I just wanted to show a fishing fly, not something over done for display.

Get that boxes of classic materials out and go to work cphubert...enjoy the time over the vise.