Fly Tying
flytire

September Flies From the Vise

19 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

Oliver is a cutie, and the flies look great. I know I'll catch fish with the ones you sent me.

Now the danger with doing that is, what if it catches fish like crazy?  The misses will be furious when she starts noticing bald spots on the pooch. LOL

A few weeks ago, I was getting these ugly buggers on my deck. I didn't know that they could fly until I watched one take off and buzz me. Absolutely Terrifying . Why, God?

My Kissing Bug Fly.jpg

3 hours ago, DOUG STOUT said:

Now the danger with doing that is, what if it catches fish like crazy?  The misses will be furious when she starts noticing bald spots on the pooch. LOL

We'll have to come up with a more easily obtainable substitute, maybe polar bear.😁

22 hours ago, denduke said:

Shucks thought you used the dog’s hair😛

Just for the tail and under belly fibers- 

3 hours ago, DOUG STOUT said:

Doug I don't that will be a problem- she has to groom him every 2 weeks and you could fill a small pillow case with the clippings!  He's a fur factory-

21 minutes ago, Mark Knapp said:

We'll have to come up with a more easily obtainable substitute, maybe polar bear.😁

It's funny you say that- If you check the tails of your flies his fur is very similar to polar bear in texture and color though he doesn't have the subtle iridescence that polar bear fur does.   

3 minutes ago, DFoster said:

It's funny you say that- If you check the tails of your flies his fur is very similar to polar bear in texture and color though he doesn't have the subtle iridescence that polar bear fur does.   

I did notice that. You'll have to watch him closely to make sure there are no mysterious midnight groomings perpetrated by nefarious neighboring forum members.

Years ago one of my all time favorite authors, Charlie Waterman, mentioned that several of the patterns he was using had Pogo hair as one of the components... It wasn’t until someone asked for clarification that he admitted in his following article that Pogo was his neighbor’s dog,  who just happened to have the right color ginger/orange fur...

When I was just beginning to learn the backcountry of the Everglades his stories and tips about the Ten Thousand Islands were bread and butter...  Of course like most of the accounts... I was a lot younger then.

2 minutes ago, Capt Bob LeMay said:

Years ago one of my all time favorite authors, Charlie Waterman, mentioned that several of the patterns he was using had Pogo hair as one of the components... It wasn’t until someone asked for clarification that he admitted in his following article that Pogo was his neighbor’s dog,  who just happened to have the right color ginger/orange fur...

When I was just beginning to learn the backcountry of the Everglades his stories and tips about the Ten Thousand Islands were bread and butter...  Of course like most of the accounts... I was a lot younger then.

👍

2 minutes ago, Mogup said:

“Royal Coachman” It’s been awhile since I’ve tied one.

D9151DF7-F591-4103-97C2-C125C9326F31.jpeg

Open for criticism? (Couldn't help it). Nice job at the vise. What did you use for the collar hackle?

Lol. Fire away Sandan as I’m just having a little fun. The hackle is actually guard hairs from a dead possum that’s been in the backyard most of the summer. I did a split thread dub and wrapped it at the head. It’s a little odorous and I’ve been wondering if that will be a plus in the fish catching department.

40 minutes ago, Mogup said:

. The hackle is actually guard hairs from a dead possum that’s been in the backyard most of the summer. 

Thats awesome!