Fly Tying
haziz

Hen Hackle for Soft Hackles?

I do have a Hungarian Partridge skin that I am using to tie North Country Spiders (AKA Soft Hackles) such as the Partridge and Orange, but I do want to also try some hen (as opposed to rooster) hackle as an alternative. 

When using hen hackle, do you tie it in using the feather tip, the same way most people use for the Partridge feathers, or do you tie in the feather stem?

Do you strip one side of the feather, to essentially make the hackle on the fly more sparse or do you wrap with all the barbules intact?

I am assuming most of the feathers are coming from the hen cape, rather than saddle. Am I correct in this?

Thanks.

I tie it in by the tip after I’ve created a notch.  As far as stripping one side or not I guess that depends on the fly. I tied mostly flymphs with my hen necks and they are usually a little more heavily hackle than the soft flies tied with game birds. That just me know.

ps. I’d heartily recommend David Hughes “Wet Flies”. Second edition.  Great book for tying and fishing the flies we’re talking

about.  

43CA5D9D-EC53-4BE6-932A-80B080CECECB.jpeg

On 9/2/2020 at 7:41 PM, Mogup said:

Here’s one of my prized soft hackle hen’s neck.

494F59A6-3430-4BD6-B6D1-35CFF8C79EE3.jpeg

0F42C137-D47B-4150-A17C-9A4833FFD77B.jpeg

On 9/2/2020 at 7:22 PM, Mogup said:

ps. I’d heartily recommend David Hughes “Wet Flies”. Second edition.  Great book for tying and fishing the flies we’re talking

about.  

43CA5D9D-EC53-4BE6-932A-80B080CECECB.jpeg

I am envious! I did get a Chinchilla hen cape and saddle from Charlie Collins as part of a hen hackle "grab bag" that did produce usable North Country Spiders, judging by the three I just tied, but it is nowhere near as interesting as this skin/cape!

I do have Sylvester Nemes' original book "The Soft-hackled Fly", but this also looks very interesting. Will look into it.

Thanks.

Yes Haziz it is very good. I recommend it to people in my tying club. You can get used copy on the cheap.

Try stripping one side on a fly it is easier to control the lie of the hackle, meaning it will fold rearward easier. 2 turns of folded hackle will work fine without stripping. Hughes discusses both in his book. You can use a lot of birds other than partridge or hen capes.

Disclaimer: I don't tie real North Country Spiders.

For wetflies, nymphs and soft hackles, I tie the hackle in by the tip. Then fold the feather either by the scissor folding technique or by simply folding the fibers back as I wrap. Two turns is usually enough, maybe three for a heavier hackle. I don't strip off one side of the hackle, but if your going for the ultra sparse North Country look it might be helpful. 

My general rule of thumb is to tie game bird hackle in by the tip and poultry in by the stem.

I don't think it really matters.

I tie just about all feathers on the front end of softhackles by the tip; for hen, webby rooster and stiffer feathers like chukar or guinea, I’ll fold it, using the blade of my scissors - here’s a video from Jay Nicholas showing how it’s done (you can skip forward to 2:00). 
Partridge usually behaves without folding, but there have been times when particular feathers wrap better when I run the scissors over the quill

Regards,
Scott

1 hour ago, SBPatt said:

I'll fold it, using the blade of my scissors - here’s a video from Jay Nicholas showing how it’s done (you can skip forward to 2:00)

Neat trick there, thanks for posting.

In a class with Davy Wotton, he explained the difference between tip tie in vs. stem tie in.  Tie in by the tip will have the fibers flowing rearward.  Tie in by the stem will have the fibers perpendicular to the shank.  It all depends on the look/action you want. 

Feather selection depends on the structure of the feather; some have heavier stems and/or fibers than others.  Again, it depends on what you want to achieve.

Thanks, Bob H

3 hours ago, Shmang said:

Hey Mogup is that a Brahma Hen hackle? if so what color - it is gorgeous!

Shmang

The skin is from a Welsummer Belgian hen that I got from a private grower. The feathers are beautiful. Thanks.