Fly Tying
Moshup

Why are there so few if any fly tying ladies on this site.

Was just wondering.  Everyone seems to be pretty accommodating Here and I just don’t recall any ladies on the page. The ones I know locally are

very good tiers.

1 hour ago, Mogup said:

I know who Helen Shaw is . Her book helped me to learn to tie.

My first fly tying book. Next was Art Flick’s Streamside Guide

44 minutes ago, breambuster said:

👍

I'm guessing far fewer women tie than men, most outdoors sports especially fishing and hunting are mostly done by men, and even the women that do it are rarely as involved.

3 hours ago, vicente said:

I'm guessing far fewer women tie than men, most outdoors sports especially fishing and hunting are mostly done by men, and even the women that do it are rarely as involved.

And I feel fortunate for that---otherwise I might not eat!    : )

10 hours ago, breambuster said:

Mine too.  (Flicks was probably #3 or 4.)

1 hour ago, Bill_729 said:

And I feel fortunate for that---otherwise I might not eat!    : )

And comments like that are the reason you don't see more women tiers on this forum.

I know a number of avid women anglers and fly tiers. They post to local TU list servers, to some fly fishing Facebook pages.  They don't, OTOH, post to places where they don't feel welcome.

14 minutes ago, redietz said:

And comments like that are the reason you don't see more women tiers on this forum.

You perhaps misunderstand me.  I welcome them.  While you're at it, I wonder how well the various races are represented here.

2 minutes ago, Bill_729 said:

You perhaps misunderstand me.  I welcome them.  While you're at it, I wonder how well the various races are represented here.

I think we're a little bit more diverse wrt race. 

And I'm not saying it's a good thing or a bad thing that this site isn't very women friendly (others are far worse); it's just the way it is.

I regularly hear comments similar to those in this little article from woman angler/tiers::

What Women Really Want

especially the line "Unfortunately, many of our fellow anglers still view fly fishing as a “man’s sport,” 

2 hours ago, redietz said:

And I'm not saying it's a good thing or a bad thing that this site isn't very women friendly (others are far worse); it's just the way it is.

I regularly hear comments similar to those in this little article from woman angler/tiers::

What Women Really Want

especially the line "Unfortunately, many of our fellow anglers still view fly fishing as a “man’s sport,” 

Well, if there is interest in pushing for this, someone could create a new section in the Forums, to help make them feel especially welcome!   And we could watch and see if they talk about the others of us, and bartering for sticks and such.   : )

I'm not sure that there is interest in this, and if there is, I doubt creating a ghetto for them would be the way to go.

Here's the kind of problem that I see.  This was posted recently on a local fly fishing Facebook group.  It's not particularly offensive, and the poster wasn't trying to alienate women by posting it.

Image may contain: one or more people and people standing, text that says 'YOUR NEW ROD ARRIVED TODAY AND YOUR WIFE SIGNED FOR IT. DO YOU STILL WANT TO SWING BY THE HOUSE OR DO YOU WANT TO JUST COME WITH ME NOW ?'

Just a funny way of saying "my spouse is going to kill me for buying a new rod."  (As a widower I sometimes wish I still had that problem.)  I've heard women make the same complaint.

It's that when a woman logs in and sees it; along with half a dozen others in a similar vein, they get the idea that it's a site for men to complain about women, and wonder if they really want to be a part of that.