Fly Tying
Moshup

Why are there so few if any fly tying ladies on this site.

3 hours ago, redietz said:

There is something in that, but there are fly fishing/tying sites that to which women do actively contribute.  This doesn't seem to be one of them.

When I first came to this site, about a year ago, it's demographics were not explicit to me at all.  So I doubt that a woman coming to the site would have a different experience. So you can't blame what the site is doing for turning away women-they are most likely not showing up in the first place. Spend a little on advertising, and we could probably attract more...maybe rename it, "The Happy Hooker" and put an ad in Cosmopolitan. Here ya go: "Feathers, they are not just for your hair--get a free jungle cock cape for half-off with every new membership!"

:)

5 hours ago, Bill_729 said:

we could probably attract more...maybe rename it, "The Happy Hooker" and put an ad in Cosmopolitan. Here ya go: "Feathers, they are not just for your hair--get a free jungle cock cape for half-off with every new membership!"

I rest my case that this site might make women uncomfortable.

43 minutes ago, redietz said:

Yep, this would definitely be a turn off.

1 hour ago, redietz said:

I don't read Cosmo or want feathers in my hair either.

8 hours ago, Bill_729 said:

When I first came to this site, about a year ago, it's demographics were not explicit to me at all.  So I doubt that a woman coming to the site would have a different experience. So you can't blame what the site is doing for turning away women-they are most likely not showing up in the first place. Spend a little on advertising, and we could probably attract more...maybe rename it, "The Happy Hooker" and put an ad in Cosmopolitan. Here ya go: "Feathers, they are not just for your hair--get a free jungle cock cape for half-off with every new membership!"

:)

Very welcoming Bill 729 ! 

23 minutes ago, Mogup said:

Very welcoming Bill 729 ! 

Let's not lose our sense of humor.  I think it's a non-issue.

There are a bunch of female fly tiers on facebook,  one does rangely style streamers by hand much like Carrie Stevens who may have been the finest tier of streamers ever.   Most women who tie don’t normally come to forums like this.   Its mostly fly nerds like us.

On the more serious side, I think @redietz has his finger on it, more or less. If you won't say it to your mother, your wife, your daughters, your sisters and neices altogether, they're not going to be interested to watch you say it here.

Not that I'm not guilty of that myself at times, but that's why. Imo.

And @redietz, that's a hard walk you've walked. Can only imagine how humbling that would be.

I follow a fly tying group on Facebook. Somebody posted a meme with scantily clad woman tied up in bed with the words "Tie me up and do anything you want" followed by a picture of a guy fishing. Okay, pretty funny, but IMO it wasn't appropriate for that venue. I noticed at least woman fly tier saying she was leaving the group. Other men chimed in saying it wasn't appropriate, which prompted some pretty petty and nasty back and forth from others telling them to lighten up amongst other things. I thought about leaving myself, only because there is enough nastiness going around in our world and I don't care to see that kind of inconsiderate bickering. Consideration of others can go a long way and under that umbrella, maybe more women would post if they felt welcome. 

If someone is offended by the content on THIS site (!?!? 😲) then I'm okay with them not being a member ... woman or man.  One of the reasons I like this site, is the laid back and generally acceptable comments by the members.  In re the "Tie me up and do anything you want." meme.  My Wife showed me that one, and was laughing, saying, "That's YOU!"  😄

So, to repeat.  If we don't have more women tiers on this site because they're offended by the content, then we don't need that kind of "Everything's-an-insult-to-somebody" attitude.

2 hours ago, mikechell said:

If someone is offended by the content on THIS site (!?!? 😲) then I'm okay with them not being a member ... woman or man.  One of the reasons I like this site, is the laid back and generally acceptable comments by the members.  In re the "Tie me up and do anything you want." meme.  My Wife showed me that one, and was laughing, saying, "That's YOU!"  😄

So, to repeat.  If we don't have more women tiers on this site because they're offended by the content, then we don't need that kind of "Everything's-an-insult-to-somebody" attitude.

The subject is not about you Mike and I guess it’s not even about having more female members because the real question is why doesn’t the site even have one contributing female member ?   Maybe just, maybe some of these remarks have been off putting to possible  female contributing members and they have said “not for me”.  If you and the management are good with that more power to you.