Fly Tying
Moshup

Why are there so few if any fly tying ladies on this site.

HEY Horseshoes! (AKA Helen Shaw). It’s good to hear from you again. Glad you are doing well. I am retired now, (worked until I was 70 years old) and living in Upstate SC and trying to find a “new normal” again. I ran a series of swaps with a fast turn around rule last year. It was either 5 or 6 swaps in that same number of months. In other words, a new swap every month for 6 months and the guys knew what they were getting into and that the deadlines were hard and fast. I must say that the swappers really responded to it well and did an awesome job, but I did get sort of burned out in the process, so now I am taking a bit of a sabbatical from hosting. Glad to hear that you are still tying. Hopefully, we can swap again one of these days. I love to get flies tied by Helen Shaw!

My daughter just asked me to show her how to tie.  We fished in the Cole rain last weekend.  She enjoyed it and caught fish.  All three of my daughters fly fish with me, but this is the first one who has wanted to tie, so far.  She may join the site at some point.

You guys are much cleaner in speech and content than the women I work with.

Mainly, we are corny, harmless and a little obsessive.  In short, boring misanthropic fly tying needs.  I am okay with that.

6 hours ago, DarrellP said:

Where I grew up, 4-letter words were pretty much off limits.  Where along the line did having a potty-mouth become to be an accepted vernacular (by some)?  Is is part of the sexual revolution that women want to be seen as tougher (that's one idea I have), or is it something else?  Even "fricken" offends me because I feel as though it is a cheap substitute for a word I was taught was vulgar.  I'll bet if fish could talk they might have a few words for you as you reel them up!   ; )

7 hours ago, DarrellP said:

Mainly, we are corny, harmless and a little obsessive.  In short, boring misanthropic fly tying needs.  I am okay with that.

I've listened to a few conversations between professional "ladies" at work that if I as a male had said would have resulted in a meeting with H.R. 

50 minutes ago, Bill_729 said:

Where I grew up, 4-letter words were pretty much off limits.  Where along the line did having a potty-mouth become to be an accepted vernacular (by some)?

Well Bill it's been my experience that foul language is just the result of the morally corrupt concepts being promoted at our institutions of higher learning and Hollywood. 

It is interesting what makes a word judged to be profanity.  Some are biblical such as "hell" and "damn."  But most profane words are Anglo- Saxon in origin, while the "acceptable"  term for the same thought is from Norman French.  For instance, "defecate", "intercourse"... I forgot where I read this.

You are correct that young women are more profane at work, while men are afraid that they will be seen as offensive or creating a hostile work environment. My Dad would not tolerate anyone cursing in front of a woman.  He would call them down if they did.  Old school southern.

I’m a fan of cursing only on “special occasions” . These days the f bomb is used at a drop of the hat and dilutes the severity of the incident .

2 hours ago, Moshup said:

I’m a fan of cursing only on “special occasions” . These days the f bomb is used at a drop of the hat and dilutes the severity of the incident .

@moshup. f***in' aye. 😂

6 hours ago, DFoster said:

Well Bill it's been my experience that foul language is just the result of the morally corrupt concepts being promoted at our institutions of higher learning and Hollywood. 

Hollywood I get.  Please explain to me how the institutions of higher learning are involved.

9 hours ago, Moshup said:

Which is exactly the point of having certain words "reserved" for those occasions.  The use of proscribed words indicates strong emotion.  Watching someone decapitated in front of your warrants "OMG!"; seeing a friend with a bad haircut doesn't, and using it for the latter just renders it less appropriate for the former -- "dilutes" as you put it.

I known/know a few women fly fishers.  Our salt water club has a few, mainly picked up through our work with Casting for Recovery.  I'm not sure how many have taken up fly tying.  The old FF@ list had few women on it.  There's three or four that belong to my other fly fishing club.  There's a women's fly fishing club in SE PA.  Still most of the fly fishing boards and other fishing boards are dominated by men.  Why?  I have no idea.  Might be a comfort level thing.  As far as cussing goes, the F bomb has lost it's shock value.  It's become the "You know" of curse words. I find it drifting into my conversations without thought though I'm careful, in certain circles, to keep it under control.

On 4/1/2021 at 11:10 AM, breambuster said:

HEY Horseshoes! (AKA Helen Shaw). It’s good to hear from you again. Glad you are doing well. I am retired now, (worked until I was 70 years old) and living in Upstate SC and trying to find a “new normal” again. I ran a series of swaps with a fast turn around rule last year. It was either 5 or 6 swaps in that same number of months. In other words, a new swap every month for 6 months and the guys knew what they were getting into and that the deadlines were hard and fast. I must say that the swappers really responded to it well and did an awesome job, but I did get sort of burned out in the process, so now I am taking a bit of a sabbatical from hosting. Glad to hear that you are still tying. Hopefully, we can swap again one of these days. I love to get flies tied by Helen Shaw!

Hard earned rest.👍

If passion justifies rough talk, it should be noted that the only legit passions showed here are for our sport,  and not much else. There is not much room for emotional outbursts with colorful language.   Anything else is by definition off topic and if passionate likely to cause problems and get removed.   It's an oasis that I think most of us enjoy this way and would self edit even if other forms of expression were permitted. 

But it is far from the norm in our society and those norms are slipping daily.  Bad taste usually wins out and the current examples of shabby 'free expression' in public by 'educated' women are at the cutting edge.  Its a losing game. 

9 hours ago, Rocco said:

If passion justifies rough talk, it should be noted that the only legit passions showed here are for our sport,  and not much else. There is not much room for emotional outbursts with colorful language.  

Agreed. In fact, I would extend that to all written discourse.  If you're sufficiently in control of yourself to be typing, there's no justification for exceptional language.

I got the hair brush treatment from my mom if I even you lords name in vain. But growing up in flint Michigan you were going to hear it a lot, it was called shop talk working at GM, and was considered protected speech by the uaw. I still hate it, reducing another person, anyone to some sort of vulgar act or hateful word is just not right. We all have differences of opinion, and I know it’s pie in the sky to think that we could have some sort of dialogue and at least try and get along. As a youngster growing up in the 60,s I was taught to be respectful of others, and when I didn’t my mom had no problem using the hair brush on my bottom, that wasn’t a big deal, it was when my dad got home from work, let’s just say it got a lot more serious.

Mike.