Fly Tying
Lug Nuts

What is your favorite fly to tie?

I know this is a wide open question and will vary by region and species at a minimum, but I am curious of everyone’s favorite to tie.  

Now, this does not have to mean favorite to fish, most successful, etc., but the one you will tie a 1/2 dozen of if you just feel like sitting at the vice for an hour or so with no particular purpose.

Maybe your favorite to tie is such because it IS your most successful.  Or maybe it has a certain technique you enjoy.  Maybe they are tour favorite because they are the best looking.

For me, my favorites are dry flies that follow the Atherton style of tail, body, rib, wings, and hackle.  I sub materials with my preferences, such as CDL for tails and various dubbings.  I also have a thing for thick hackle.  Yeah yeah, I know what they say about that...  If made to choose a single color, it would be a greyish tan.  

The only one I have handy for a picture is this well fished example.  Look closely and you can see the leftover knot of line in the bend from the dropper.

Of course wild colored “Glow Bugs” (as I like to call them over “Euro Nymphs”) are always fun to play with too.

What are yours?

B54DE4C0-E1BD-48BD-B99C-4C2C0F4475C8.jpeg

I have probably posted too many pictures of this fly but you ask! Based on my limited tying experience and the short list of flies I tie this one is my favorite. More than anything are the memories this fly brings to mind.

DSC_0002.jpeg

These are great!  

I have a pack of quills on the bench that I have been meaning to experiment with, but haven’t yet!  I love classic flies too.

The fly that probably gives me the best memories is the mosquito.  My dad loved that fly, not sure why because it never did work very well where we fished, but he always asked me to tie him several...but I would make sure to give him just as many of my caddis flies that were all but a guarantee on our creek.

Pete, both your fly and vice (Damascus?) are outstanding.

Thank you...

I do miss the Cape of Cod more than words can say !

Maybe next Spring for a refresher...

Those were the DAZE !

C570FFE3-D67A-4F06-B0EE-6F868287E457.jpeg

8BA1413B-3993-4C9D-9A7B-157ADF113D9A.jpeg

8D9F02A5-2138-444E-9E76-FEB0EB852893.jpeg

I honestly do no think I have one.  There are some I might enjoy tying more than others, but none I would consider my favorite to tie.