Fly Tying
Lug Nuts

What is your favorite fly to tie?

2 hours ago, jamieofthenorth said:

Nice... in Maine, they are all stocked and it's only really done in southern parts of the state, where I used to live. Unfortunately, none where I am further north, but the partridge (ruffed grouse, technically.. but they call them partridge here) hunting is pretty awesome. 

WE called 'em partridge in NY too. We hunt wild birds (pheasant) on a farm in Southwestern Kansas. 

As long as it's not a size 32 Royal Wulff,  any fly I tie is my favorite.   I've got a few ideas, hopefully in a couple of weeks when my new knee has loosened up enough for me to sit comfortably at my tying desk.  The spotted lantern fly pattern,  the flossing brush caddis, and a few more.   I do like tying foam patterns.

Funny you mention the size #32.  About 25 years ago I used to attend many of the monthly UFT (United fly Tyers) meetings in Burlington, Ma. There were always some notable people there, some local legends and some global legends.  One guy always brought along his fully dressed size 32 Royal Coachman dry fly for others to check out.  It was in one of those small plastic cubes with the magnifiers on each side.

my fav fly to  tie is one that just caught fish and i need more of the same or to tweek it to make bigger, smalller or more weight or different color

Any of Larry Kingrey's Papa/Mama/Baby Ape series or Betters' Usual / Wulff; perhaps one of Craven's Charlie-Boy or Morningwood hopper patterns.

I'm all over the road on this-   it's more like I have favorite materials to tie with rather than a favorite fly.     Bucktail is probably my #1 favorite.   Good quality tails are very difficult to find, at least with the qualities that are important to me.   When I need one of a particular color I may or may not even find one on the rack at a shop.  Tying with good quality deer tail is enjoyable and makes extremely effective patterns for me.  

On 9/8/2020 at 7:07 PM, mikechell said:

It's usually "Chell's Panfish Attractor".

DSCF0004.JPG

I like those-  I've been tying something vaguely similar and doing well-  most of our crayfish around here seem to have blue on their claws and I've been putting a few strands of blue flash in mine as well.  I can only ASSume the fish see it as a small crayfish or some kind of nymph or something.  

46 minutes ago, JSzymczyk said:

I'm all over the road on this-   it's more like I have favorite materials to tie with rather than a favorite fly.     Bucktail is probably my #1 favorite.   Good quality tails are very difficult to find, at least with the qualities that are important to me.   When I need one of a particular color I may or may not even find one on the rack at a shop.  Tying with good quality deer tail is enjoyable and makes extremely effective patterns for me.  

Yes the shop owners groan when they see me coming as I pull all the tails off the rack and go through them all.  All bucktails were not created equal,

I'd have to say that Marabou streamers / spey flies would be my favorite to tie.

Endless variations and visually appealing. 

20201105_151247.thumb.jpg.63bd8d24df709e96a4cdd9d88a200dc1.jpg20201102_153126.thumb.jpg.c81dc8e293fff4a1411e97d2257c76b6.jpg

I also love fishing a streamer

Love that fly above Blumbugs !   Nice vise as well.  Great for dressing a nice iron ! A lot of Dyna King fanatics on this board.

20 hours ago, Mogup said:

Love that fly above Blumbugs !   Nice vise as well.  Great for dressing a nice iron ! A lot of Dyna King fanatics on this board.

+1

IMG_20201117_153326.jpg.8ebf778ec75242aa530cb0541c3717f8.jpg

Minky (edited)

Size 8 streamer hook

Tan thread

Rabbit fur strip (any color)

Pearl chennile

I made a small size 12 nymph that smashes bass, and I caught my first yellow perch on it. I'll get a photo in later.

IMG_20201117_152511.jpg.1167f4d681fc79d3c33720deac0f3d6e.jpg

Size 12 dry fly hook

Brown thread (you can change it, I used it because I'm starting out)

Any color rabbit fur

1/8 brass bead