Fly Tying
indiglofish61@gmail.com

UTC 70 thread?

I just got me some UTC 70 thread, it breaks to easily, way easier then the 6/0 Veesus or even the 8/0. Is this th he way its supposed be or should it be stronger? I'm thinking of returning it to get some Vessus for tying midges.

Once you learn the breaking strength, UTC 70 should be strong enough to tie most Trout flies except for cranking down on deer hair etc.  It's also possible you got a bad spool. 

Make sure you are not nicking the hook point as you wrap.  Additionally, if the hooks you are using have rough edges at the end of the wire at the hook eye, that can cause the thread to fray.  If you are breaking thread while wrapping the body of the fly, it is usually caused by nicking the hook point.  If you are breaking thread when finishing the fly, ragged edges on the hook eye is usually the culprit.

When you say breaks way easier than other threads I read you are breaking the other threads as well just not as many times. Are you using a ceramic bobbin or is it just a metal tube bobbin? perhaps the spool tension is to tight. UTC 70 does not break that easily unless your knicking the hook point,  a mechanical reason or your way overdoing the tightness of the wraps. 

2 hours ago, [email protected] said:

I guess i better learn the breaking strength cause all the spools i got 12 of em are the same .what do u recommend for deer hair ?  thats the next ones i think i gonna practice tying. Thanks for the reply.

Gsp thread for spinning or attacking deer hair, i use 210 for most things

For small deer/elk hair wings I use the same thread I use for 90% of everything, Danville 6/0 Flymaster which is about 70d. For small spun heads 140 denier or 3/0 Monocord will work. For large amounts or hair, like for Bass bugs, GSP. There is a learning curve when it comes to breaking thread.  

If you nic UTC 70 it weakens the thread significantly. If intact I find it strong enough for a 70 denier thread and I use it quite a bit.

Veevus 6/0 and 8/0 are more than twice as strong as UTC 70. Also roughly twice as thick. The comparable Veevus to UTC 70 would be Veevus 14/0 or 16/0.

https://globalflyfisher.com/tie-better/fly-tying-thread-table

If the OP wants a comparable UTC it would be UTC 140 or maybe 210.

UTC 70 is fine for midges. Yes, it will break if you treat it like Veevus 6/0 or 8/0.

I backed off the bobbin tension with UTC70 if it's too tight the thread can snap easier where the bobbin doesn't give. I thought it was complete rubbish when I bought the first spool a few years ago, that was my answer, bobbin tension. I'd never use it to spin deer hair though. I might use the 140 now and then but usually switch brands for that. I tie my small Muddlers with Danville .