Fly Tying
giaccipop

I can't find this hook anywhere

I'm looking for the hook on the bottom in the photo.  It's the last one I have.  It's #6 and probably 3X.   I purchased a bunch of them over ten years ago and I can't remember where I got them.  The hook on the top is just there for comparison.  The closest I have come in my search is the Daiichi 1730,  however, it differs in two respects.  First, the curve of the Daiichi 1730 hook end is almost circular while the curve on my hook is elliptical, breaking back toward the eye sooner.  Second, the Daiichi 1730 hook (if you trace the direction of the hook) points just outside the eyelet.  My hook points inside the eyelet.  If you put a straight edge on the hook point you will see what I mean.  I may be crazy (just ask my wife) but I honestly believe that the shape of the hook I am looking for turns a good fly into a great fly.  With this hook I have caught a ton of small mouth bass, many over three pounds, with very few misses.  Any suggestions  on where to find this hook would be appreciated.

Crayfish Hook Comparison 2.jpg

have you tried bending a hook with that bend and length to the shape of the bottom hook?

find a limerick bend hook and bend it to the bottom hook shape. daiichi d2271 or mustad 3665s or tiemco 700

why wont the daiichi 1730 work if there is nothing to replace the bottom hook?

To me, it looks like the profile of a TMC 200R hook. Take a look at that and let me know how that hook is different from what you are looking for. I use a 200R in imitating a damselfly nymph.

BB

There are quite a few similar profiles, the TMC 200R is one, and Montana Fly Company, Allen, and quite a few others have similar ones.  

Just a thought.  If no more are to be found, you might try taking a board, placing your lone existing hook on the board and driving nails along the shank near the eye and also where the bend is . . . a jig of sorts so you can bend a similar down eye streamer hook to make your own.

1730 as you mentioned and Dai-Riki 700, Montana Fly Company 7073,  Mustad discontinued this style a while back and is probably what you have, I do not have the hook number in my reference file.

I'm recovering from left knee surgery at my sister's.  So I don't have access to my hooks.   This is about the closest I have to the  hook in you picture.   I believe it's a Partridge hook,  though it could be another brand.  I brought them at the local TFO shop.  I  believe it's a size 6.

P9140281 (2).JPG

The link posted by BHouk appears to be as close a match as you could ask for. Lining up the barb with a straight edge places point below the eye of the hook. I would think that is your answer though I have not looked through all the other links out there.

Nick

Giaccipop, I used to have some hooks with that bent shank, but they were much smaller than what you are looking for and I can’t remember what pattern I was trying to tie on them. I am curious to know what pattern you tie on that type of hook?

Thanks, BB