Fly Tying
Mark Knapp

My fly tying room

My take is it probably looks worse than it is, for lack of better words. I don't think it would take very long to tidy it up, if you choose. You have a lot of great supplies there! Happy tying, I imagine the nights are starting to take over up your way. 

7 hours ago, jamieofthenorth said:

My take is it probably looks worse than it is, for lack of better words. I don't think it would take very long to tidy it up, if you choose. You have a lot of great supplies there! Happy tying, I imagine the nights are starting to take over up your way. 

Yep, we are losing 6 minutes of daylight everyday now. It will be fly tying and ice fishing season soon. You are right, it looks worse than it is, it wouldn't take long for someone to clean it up for me.

Question.   Is that a bluegill on the wall?   Didn’t know they had them in AK.   Great wall of mounts.  One suggestion might try to figure out where to put rifles and fly rods.   Your fly stuff is in nifty bins but the place begs for more shelves/ racks or sumthin     My $.02.  And I gotta lotta room to talk😝

3 hours ago, denduke said:

Question.   Is that a bluegill on the wall?   Didn’t know they had them in AK.   Great wall of mounts.  One suggestion might try to figure out where to put rifles and fly rods.   Your fly stuff is in nifty bins but the place begs for more shelves/ racks or sumthin     My $.02.  And I gotta lotta room to talk😝

I don't mind your .02 at all.

That is a blue gill, and your are correct, we don't have them in Alaska, this one is in memoriam of a fine trip I had with a very good friend of mine in Washington State. It's a vintage skin-on mount that I got from eBay that I happened to find while I was Googling places to have a reproduction made. I also found a mounted group of four on a piece of drift wood that I sent to my host. They were extremely reasonably priced.

The fly tying room is still a work in progress, I have a gun safe in the pole barn and plans for some more shelving for the vises and fly tying books. I also have to label more of the drawers. I also have a rack for the fly rods. The problem is, I'd have to clean up the room before I can do all that stuff. There-in lies the problem. I'd rather work in my fly room than work on the fly room.

I'll probably work on it this winter. (Maybe) There's ice fishing to do too.

On 9/29/2020 at 3:16 PM, Mark Knapp said:

(Maybe)

Reminds me of, you have two chances and slim just walked out the door

if that was mine,  there would be one addition.... bloodstains on the carpet from where my wife shot me and dragged the body out. 

8 hours ago, JSzymczyk said:

if that was mine,  there would be one addition.... bloodstains on the carpet from where my wife shot me and dragged the body out. 

My wife ain't allowed in my fly tying room, that may be obvious.

Here's something funny, somebody complained that I was a moderator of this site. He said, by the look of my fly tying room he can tell I don't know anything about fly tying.😁😋.

4 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

Here's something funny, somebody complained that I was a moderator of this site. He said, by the look of my fly tying room he can tell I don't know anything about fly tying.

Who said this?  Did they PM you and say this?

5 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

My wife ain't allowed in my fly tying room, that may be obvious.

Here's something funny, somebody complained that I was a moderator of this site. He said, by the look of my fly tying room he can tell I don't know anything about fly tying.😁😋.

🤣

3 hours ago, mikechell said:

Who said this?  Did they PM you and say this?

That was in the complaint that was recently posted to all us Moderators.

"Judging by the state of his fly tying room I can’t imagine he knows much about fly tying"

It's a non issue now, just kind of funny. I wouldn't want to embarrass anybody by saying his name.

5 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

That's pathetic. 

On 10/2/2020 at 9:52 PM, Mark Knapp said:

That was in the complaint that was recently posted to all us Moderators.

"Judging by the state of his fly tying room I can’t imagine he knows much about fly tying"

It's a non issue now, just kind of funny. I wouldn't want to embarrass anybody by saying his name.

It's a tough crowd Mark.  As I've posted before my tying desk is in my wife's home office and I'm required to keep it clean and neat.  How many of you dust and vacuum your tying areas regularly?  Well that's the price I pay to have natural sunlight and heat.  A lost hook finding it's way into my lovely bride's foot would be catastrophic,  much like working with explosives- one mistake and 💥!  

I never knew a neat tying area made me a more knowledgeable fly tyer though?  So that's a win win!