Fly Tying

I've been tying trout flies and saltwater streamers for just over 8 months now, and I want to start my journey on tying some traditional winged wet flies (Bergman) and move on to tying some basic traditional salmon flies after. I don't really know where to get started, though, because I don't have a ton of the materials needed for these classic flies. Do you guys have any resources to help a fellow tyer get started? What patterns would you recommend I start with (both winged wets and, when I get good at setting and marrying wings, salmon flies)? 

A few more specific questions: what thread do you guys prefer? I usually use 70 denier waxed Danville or 70 denier UTC for my trout stuff, but I've heard of a lot of people using black and white 8/0 UNI thread. And what hackle/throat materials do tyers prefer (hen capes, saddles, schlappen, etc.)?

I understand that there's a pretty steep learning curve with the process, but I got the tying bug real bad and have nothing else to do after my online classes. I've also heard it can be very expensive, so are there certain materials/colors that are a must for at least winged wet flies? Thanks so much :)

There's no "steep learning curve", actually.  That term assumes you have to learn it quickly or you'll fail a test or something.  You can take all the time you want.  In fact, you can take the next month and just learn to tie a good nymph body with exact spacing on ribs.  Take another month to learn how to properly position and tie in wings.  Another month to learn to tie small compact heads that still hold material in place.  My point is, don't rush anything.  Take your time and enjoy the journey as well as the intermediate destinations along the way.

There are tons of good, short tying videos that teach the techniques you'll need.  A lot of those videos also go into the materials, so no guessing need be done.  Finally, yes, tying CAN be expensive, but it doesn't need to be.  It's the techniques you want to learn.  You can learn those with Dollar Tree materials.  A lot of people will swear that bad materials turn many beginners away from tying.  Possibly true.  I like to believe that people who REALLY want to learn to tie will accept the challenge and learn the techniques with anything at hand.  I STILL tie with sewing thread for some of my patterns.

Good luck and welcome to the site.

6 minutes ago, mikechell said:

There are tons of good, short tying videos that teach the techniques you'll need.  A lot of those videos also go into the materials, so no guessing need be done. 

I see your point... thanks! Which videos would you recommend for starting tying these classic wet flies and salmon flies? 

Welcome! Good advice from the guys above. There's certainly a wide world of fly tying out there, especially once you start diving in to the traditional or "classic" patterns. Chug's link to the thread above will have some good information. I would suggest though, that you start new threads with your attempts at new flies as it will be easier for people to see and give any requested advice or critiques. I started tying classic flies with the same question to the folks here as you, probably 15 year ago. There was a wealth of information. Many of the knowledgeable people have been lost in the shuffle, but there are still a few of us around that can help out.

As far as what you need, that will just depend on what you want to tie. Winged wets are a great place to start. They use pretty common, affordable materials and will help you build some skills that will carry over to classic salmon flies. If you don't already have it, Ray Bergman's book would be a great resource for patterns. I'm not sure if there is any how-to in that book, I haven't really read through my copy yet. I confess, I am not very well versed in winged wets, so I can't give too much advice on specifically tying them, but can assist with the basic skills needed.

As far as materials for winged wet flies go, The wings/tails are generally made of duck wing quills dyed various colors, as well as wood duck both barred and not, mallard, peacock sword, golden pheasant tippet etc. Most of those materials are pretty easily found and affordable. Bodies will usually be made of silk floss of various colors with a rib made of metal tinsel. Again, both of those are pretty easily found and can be pretty affordable. You'll use peacock herl for butts which you most likely already have. I think hen neck is generally the preferred material for throats, but you can really use any good, webby, soft hackle in the color called for. A proper wet fly hook will help you get the right proportions and aesthetic as well as functionality if you want to fish the flies. Mustad has a signature wet fly/nymph hook that should be reasonably priced and fit the bill. You won't find all of it here, but I recommend feathersmc.com for a lot of it.

Materials for the classic salmon flies can be very expensive, but don't have to be. If you want to use antique or handmade hooks and 100% authentic materials, be prepared for a wild goose chase and a large price tag. But there are great substitute materials available now for the pricey stuff and there are also a lot of classic patterns that don't require exotic materials and are still very beautiful.

Finally, the Ronn Lucas tutorials linked above are a great place to start when you want to start getting in to the classic salmon flies. Post all of your efforts here and I'm sure you'll get some great feedback and assistance. Try not to be too intimidated, take your time like Mike said, learn as you go, and enjoy the process.

Welcome! Nothing more satisfying than catching a fish on a fly that you tied the day before. A friend had his vise attached to a board that he laid across the steering wheel of his car. Carried some basic materials and tools to match what was hatching or present at that time.

Thanks a ton for the advice, flykid! I think I'm gonna start off with some of the Bergman patterns and just practice mounting wings, marrying wings, wrapping an even body, etc. Shouldn't be too expensive the first time around. I'll definitely try to post my progress out here on the forum :)

3 hours ago, skeet3t said:

Welcome! Nothing more satisfying than catching a fish on a fly that you tied the day before. A friend had his vise attached to a board that he laid across the steering wheel of his car. Carried some basic materials and tools to match what was hatching or present at that time.

After my flies stop looking absolutely hideous, I'll take em out to my local small stream and catch some small bows!

3 hours ago, bowsbrownsnbrookies said:

I think I'm gonna start off with some of the Bergman patterns and just practice mounting wings, marrying wings, wrapping an even body, etc.

Good choice for patterns and for practicing.  Mounting the wings properly I found to be the most challenging for me, but I have not seriously tried marrying wings yet. 

3 hours ago, bowsbrownsnbrookies said:

After my flies stop looking absolutely hideous, I'll take em out to my local small stream and catch some small bows!

It's always good to strive for a more perfect fly, but don't let that stop you from fishing the hideous ones.  I'm always surprised how 'uncritical' a trout can be!

25 minutes ago, niveker said:

It's always good to strive for a more perfect fly, but don't let that stop you from fishing the hideous ones.  I'm always surprised how 'uncritical' a trout can be!

As they say, pretty flies are more for catching anglers than fish (considering trout have brains the size of peanuts)! I've fished mangled zebra midges in tailwaters with amazing success haha

I find it hard to add to what has been posted above...lots of sound advice. I always tell someone who expresses interest in tying classics to remember this is not a sprint but a marathon. Take your time and enjoy the journey as you learn the process. If you can tie a basic quill wing wet fly you can tie a Green Highlander. There are just more parts requiring more planning. As my friend John McLain puts it...this isn't rocket science.

I've attached something I put together by request a couple of years ago to help some folks get started tying classic salmon flies. This is neither something written in stone nor an absolute be all and end all to do this...but a look at what MAY be involved for anyone who develops an interest in Classic Atlantic Salmon Flies. I hope the attachment comes through in full...I'm not the most computer savvy guy around😁

Basic Classic Salmon Fly Material List (2) (1).docx

Hey @SalarMan, I've got an admittedly ignorant question. The videos recently posted re Hardy and showing a Scottish traditional tyer at work would seem to indicate that these flies were tied to be fished.  Are there two camps in the Salmon world -- those who tie to display and those who tie to fish them? I imagine there are, and that things like blind eye hook v loop eye hook would come into play. But I also imagine there are different subs for materials and techniques as well. For instance, do the feathers need to be married to fish well?  I am really interested in this style of tying, but I am not a display kind of guy, more of a sandcastle kind of guy, and I just think it would be a blast to catch a fish on some of these. 

That's right. But I'm not sure if or how his tying approach might differ... Let's ping him and see if he'll chime in?... @eide

3 hours ago, chugbug27 said:

Hey @SalarMan, I've got an admittedly ignorant question. The videos recently posted re Hardy and showing a Scottish traditional tyer at work would seem to indicate that these flies were tied to be fished.  Are there two camps in the Salmon world -- those who tie to display and those who tie to fish them? I imagine there are, and that things like blind eye hook v loop eye hook would come into play. But I also imagine there are different subs for materials and techniques as well. For instance, do the feathers need to be married to fish well?  I am really interested in this style of tying, but I am not a display kind of guy, more of a sandcastle kind of guy, and I just think it would be a blast to catch a fish on some of these. 

First there is no such thing as an ignorant question...questions are how we learn.

Actually chugbug27, there are 2 camps on this. Personally, I have fished classics I've tied, but only on eyed hooks. The gut eye versions I tie are not really meant to be fished because the manufactured silk gut from late 1940's Japan I use most often gets soft and mushy after being soaked for a while. Not good🙂 Real silkworm gut on the other hand is just fine for fishing and many guys use flies tied that way to fish today.

Personally...nowadays I tie these flies for show and use both types of gut. I just pick the one I use based on the size of the hook so the gut's diameter is in correct proportions for the fly and the hook wire diameter.

George