Fly Tying
DFoster

Help- Leaking waders

Ahhhh!  My 3rd pair of $170 breathable stocking foot waders.  3 different brands (Bass Pro, Cabelas and LL Bean) and they all 3 began to leak sometime in the first year of use.  Starting with damp pants and progressing to full on wet.  I hang my waders after every use as per the manufactures instructions so this is getting frustrating.  

I have fixed leaks before by turning them inside out and spraying rubbing alcohol to locate the holes, then seal with UV.  But I'm currently out of the stuff and finding rubbing alcohol in the middle of covid is next to impossible.  Does anyone use or know of another method to locate leaks?  Also, since I have never owned a pair of $500+ waders, are they worth the money?

This started a month ago just in time for the cold weather.   I have UV sealed all the seams from the knee on down which is where they seem to be leaking and used the last of my alcohol to ID any holes and after all that they leaked worst than ever this weekend. 

Any advise or methods to locate and seal leaks are appreciated.   Thanks all!

41 minutes ago, DFoster said:

Ahhhh!  My 3rd pair of $170 breathable stocking foot waders.  3 different brands (Bass Pro, Cabelas and LL Bean) and they all 3 began to leak sometime in the first year of use.  Starting with damp pants and progressing to full on wet.  I hang my waders after every use as per the manufactures instructions so this is getting frustrating.  

I have fixed leaks before by turning them inside out and spraying rubbing alcohol to locate the holes, then seal with UV.  But I'm currently out of the stuff and finding rubbing alcohol in the middle of covid is next to impossible.  Does anyone use or know of another method to locate leaks?  Also, since I have never owned a pair of $500+ waders, are they worth the money?

This started a month ago just in time for the cold weather.   I have UV sealed all the seams from the knee on down which is where they seem to be leaking and used the last of my alcohol to ID any holes and after all that they leaked worst than ever this weekend. 

Any advise or methods to locate and seal leaks are appreciated.   Thanks all!

Fill a bathtub with water.

Turn the waders inside out.

Use your breath to blow air into the waders. Twist to trap the air, and submerge and find the bubbles leaking out. Mark leaks with a wax marker. 

Now use Aquaseal or Shoe goo to seal the hole on the INSIDE of the waders so the patches do not show on the outside.

Simms credited me towards an upgrade (I bought their Chinese made version) when that last happened to me. Hasn't happened since, but when it does Simms says they'll fix them for a relatively small fee. 

I have had and now have stocking foot waders. The leaks I get are around the tape at the boot area. I hang them from the deck rail and put in a gallon of water. Mark the spot, let the boots dry and seal with Aquaseal. About 25 years ago, a freebie magazine that you could get an any tackle shop, etc., had a test of various brands of waders. One brand had such a bad review that they went out of business. Can't remember as it wasn't a company I recognized at that time.

4 hours ago, SilverCreek said:

Aquaseal or Shoe goo to seal the hole on the INSIDE of the waders

What and deprive the fisherman the battle hardened look? , thanks Silver, it never occurred to me to aquaseal  from the inside I always patched and sealed from the outside. learn something every day

Thank you all!  Silver your method Sounds reasonable and simple.  I’ll give it a shot and let you know how It goes.  Skeet my leaks are definitely up possibility higher than the knee so it might be more like 5 gallons and I’m not sure the stitching will withstand the weight of that much water.  

14 hours ago, SilverCreek said:

Fill a bathtub with water.

Turn the waders inside out.

Use your breath to blow air into the waders. Twist to trap the air, and submerge and find the bubbles leaking out. Mark leaks with a wax marker. 

Now use Aquaseal or Shoe goo to seal the hole on the INSIDE of the waders so the patches do not show on the outside.

Second that. Filling them with water was something I hadn't done until recently and I wondered why I hadn't done that in the past. A few months ago I discovered a leak, though I just hung them outside on a high fence post and filled them with water from a hose. Because they were hanging, I could see more surface area at once, and I nearly jumped for joy when I almost immediately located the leak. Marked the location, let them dry, and fixed it with some of that super-sticky repair tape that came with the waders. Best wishes, leaks are frustrating. 

10 hours ago, cphubert said:

Just in time for the cold weather ?, another month and I switch to neoprene waders, much nicer in icy water.

True, but I rarely fish December through February so I can't justify the cost of a neoprene set.

2 hours ago, DFoster said:

True, but I rarely fish December through February so I can't justify the cost of a neoprene set.

You might be missing some of the best fishing of the year. My son and I fished when there was skim ice along the pools and caught fish...on dry flies. I have a fleece lining that I wear under my waders- long handles, fleece lining, baggy jeans.

I can never keep a pair of waders over a year. I guess I'm just too rough on stuff. We don't have any groomed fishing trails though. It's always rose hips and devils club, thick brambles and stuff. Real jungle warfare.

19 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

I can never keep a pair of waders over a year. I guess I'm just too rough on stuff. We don't have any groomed fishing trails though. It's always rose hips and devils club, thick brambles and stuff. Real jungle warfare.

IMO I'm fairly easy on my waders though I certainly have put holes in them from brambles.  Most of the places I fish have well worn paths in and I rarely kneel or sit while fishing.  Still at $170 I think they should last longer than a year.  The pair I have now must have 50 pin hole patches already at a year and a half and I have completely covered the seam tape with UV repair on each leg from the knee to the booty.  I found and hit several holes last night and hit them with aquaseal.  Tonight I throw them in the tub again and look to see if I have anymore bubbles.

22 hours ago, skeet3t said:

You might be missing some of the best fishing of the year. My son and I fished when there was skim ice along the pools and caught fish...on dry flies. I have a fleece lining that I wear under my waders- long handles, fleece lining, baggy jeans.

I do fish in cold weather on occasion but not often enough to purchase a pair of neoprene waders.  Generally speaking the fish in these parts is really slow and they will only take very small flies (#20 - #32) December through February.  It's not easy to tie with cold fingers.  I have a pair of fleece pants also that combined with thermals keep me warm enough.  Personally for me I prefer to spend my free time in January and February tying to fill the holes in my fly boxes.

4 hours ago, DFoster said:

IMO I'm fairly easy on my waders though I certainly have put holes in them from brambles.  Most of the places I fish have well worn paths in and I rarely kneel or sit while fishing.  Still at $170 I think they should last longer than a year.  The pair I have now must have 50 pin hole patches already at a year and a half and I have completely covered the seam tape with UV repair on each leg from the knee to the booty.  I found and hit several holes last night and hit them with aquaseal.  Tonight I throw them in the tub again and look to see if I have anymore bubbles.

I agree, for $170.00 they should last at least a year. I keep trying to find good ones but I admit I run from a $500.00 price tag like sun fish do when they see Mike launch his boat.😋

1 hour ago, Mark Knapp said:

I agree, for $170.00 they should last at least a year.

Simms agrees, too. Free repairs within first year after purchase, thereafter $60. You pay shipping only to them. Pricey product but I've enjoyed their warranty.

https://www.simmsfishing.com/discover/service/returns-repairs