Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flykid

ROY G BIV-Paul Ptalis Variation

Hi All,

I am always short of time this time of year, so I have nothing fresh to share. That should change come winter. So, I'm taking a page out of SalarMan's book and figured I'd share an oldie. This pattern is a modern pattern designed by Paul Ptalis. My version here is a slight variation on his. I tied this probably 5 or more years ago. College and my first few years of grown-up (I'll never truly grow up) life threw a wrench into my tying, but I've been getting back at it these days. I figure if I'm going to flap my gums in this new forum, I better back it up. I hope you all enjoy, and I'm open to any questions, critiques, etc.

233205102_RoyGBiv.thumb.JPG.6496ee673178a37aae24538a9c6b5dc2.JPG

Oh yea!!! One fine effort there flykid. This is a pattern I've never tied despite the fact I am totally fascinated by it.

I always chuckle at the name. When I was growing up I was taught the 7 colors of the spectrum was call VIBGYOR.
The first time I saw this fly and the name I wondered who Roy G Biv was :P

Thanks for the shout out about posting older ties. It is fun to look at my own flies from the past, plus I truly enjoy looking at past efforts from my fellow tyers on the site. I hope others follow suit. It benefits the site and also helps those who aspire to tie the classics.

Petri Heil,
George

PS - I noticed it was missed...Happy Birthday back on the 9/25 🍺

This was the longest I ever looked at a fly for it’s beauty.

I noticed the color pattern repeats itself three times.

Awesome tying.

32 minutes ago, fshng2 said:

This was the longest I ever looked at a fly for it’s beauty.

Awesome tying.

I didn't notice that. The observation skills on this human are strong.

3 hours ago, fshng2 said:

I only saw two until you pointed that out.  Now I know what nuanced means.  Amazing the forethought and skill.    

Thanks everyone! Glad you are all enjoying it. It is a pretty neat pattern and I had fun tying it. Only wish I had tied it on a slightly nicer hook. I didn't notice the color pattern repetition either, good eye. 

Thanks for the birthday wishes too, SalarMan! 

On 10/2/2020 at 7:14 AM, flykid said:

Thanks everyone! Glad you are all enjoying it. It is a pretty neat pattern and I had fun tying it. Only wish I had tied it on a slightly nicer hook. I didn't notice the color pattern repetition either, good eye. 

Thanks for the birthday wishes too, SalarMan! 

My pleasure flykid