Fly Tying
imaxfli78

Does Thread go bad......?????

Have 20-30 year old waxed Monocord(3/0??)....it seems to break easy. Does this stuff go bad/ Do I need to toss and buy anew????

Silver, any idea as to what the shelf life of regular mono line is?  Line that is still on the original spool and stored in a cool dry place out of the sunlight.

The only reason this thread can go bad is if people start using foul language. 😁 The people here are all good people so I'd say chances are slim. Sorry I can't help you. I'm the guy that just sits back and cracks jokes but doesn't contribute anything constructive.

3 hours ago, dave said:

Silver, any idea as to what the shelf life of regular mono line is?  Line that is still on the original spool and stored in a cool dry place out of the sunlight.

I don't know. I keep mine in zip lock bags in a basement cabinet in the dark. I test a the spool before using it.

33 minutes ago, Mark Knapp said:

The only reason this thread can go bad is if people start using foul language. 😁 The people here are all good people so I'd say chances are slim. Sorry I can't help you. I'm the guy that just sits back and cracks jokes but doesn't contribute anything constructive.

I come to this site for Mark's jokes but that was not a choice on the poll.

Nylon is seriously affected by ozone, so if those levels are high, then the nylon based thread will have a shorter shelf life.

"Avoid using intentional ozone generators, and be cautious about other products that have electrostatic precipitators,
ionizers, plasma generators, or UV bulbs, because they have the potential to generate high levels of ozone."

Most electric appliances emit some levels of ozone in the house.

Ozone gets to everything if it's in the atmosphere, unless your thread was in an airtight box.  And you said the thread was 20-30 years old.  Imagine just a little contamination each day over that time span.

As I always say ... age sucks.

4 hours ago, SilverCreek said:

I come to this site for Mark's jokes but that was not a choice on the poll.

Good one

10 hours ago, imaxfli78 said:

Have 20-30 year old waxed Monocord(3/0??)....it seems to break easy. Does this stuff go bad/ Do I need to toss and buy anew????

I went through the same thing after a hiatus of similar length. Even some thread that was only half that old went bad.

Ordinary exposure to the sun (and its UV rays) is harmful over time for not only monofilament but also fiberglass and other plastics.  That’s the real reason that leaving a boat uncovered out in the open isn’t a very good idea.   UV rays cause the chemical bonds to break down over time.  The effect is much more pronounced if you live and work in the tropics (another of those “ask me how I know” moments).