Fly Tying
flytire

October Flies From The Vise

12 hours ago, dflanagan said:

Beautiful fly. I love fishing bugs like this in the ponds in winter. Thanks for the link, too. 

I agree.  Beautiful fly.  That would probably take some coastal cutthroat.  I may have to "borrow" the pattern.  Thanks for posting.

On 10/8/2020 at 9:00 PM, fshng2 said:

Nice one Chasing Tails. How has this worked for you?

Snook approved of it this morning...

I like using the worm hook as it gives a larger profile head without the resin head encroaching back into the hook gap.

i keep it very light so it is a slow fall. Most of the mangrove edges are only a foot or two deep. Can be fished as a twitch and pause or a straight rapid strip.43D40794-FF10-467E-88A1-515F59438F8A.thumb.jpeg.84ec241e39249ddcef045746728bb1e6.jpeg

#16 parachute extended body Mayfly

DSCF5787-X3.jpg

Hook - #16 hook I got with a bunch of stuff

Thread - 6/0 Danville's  med olive

Tail - Lemon wood duck flank, Micro-fibettes, clear cling wrap, amber scintilla dubbing

Abdomen - olive CDC

Wing - wood duck flank

Hackle - Med dun rooster saddle hackle

Red Butt Green Peter (flatwing variation)

50444993136_815916d752_c.jpg

50445174612_f759f3f175_c.jpg

50444993381_2f378da994_c.jpg

50444993106_7ac89dea93_c.jpg

A bit easier for me to wing with a single feather than trying to match slips (won’t make much difference after a fish or two chews it); set the wing shape with a little UV resin.

hook - BVFT Dry #10
thread - Danville 6/0 brown 
butt - dubbing red
rib - small wire gold
body - dubbing olive 
body hackle - brown 
wing - hen pheasant rump
hackle - furnace

Regards,
Scott

Nice ones Bimini,Mark & Scott. Scott I like the use of a single feather for the wing.

Mark are you using a wing burner for the wings?

Since top water has been the ticket lately I figured I’d make up a stretched gurgler mullet. And added in a rattle for good measure. The fly sits tail low in the water with the majority of the silhouette below the surface.

Hook: Mustad 92611 long shank, size 4

Thread: Danville monocord 3/0, gray

Tail: craft fur white/gray/black with pearl and silver flashabou

Underbody: Pearl estaz

Overbody: 2mm foam, gray/black

Rattle: 4mm glass

Eyes: 5/16 molded, yellow

Gills: Red sharpie marker

7C51D7AB-D00C-4007-AED0-CAF541763869.thumb.jpeg.539ef50a9911bce9d33273aa87499d97.jpeg

Very nice Chasing Tails .  I really like the fly.  I’m an old gurgler user and have had the chance to

sit down with Gartside once or twice. Question !  Is this a used fly that dinged a rock or is that bent

point meant to be there?

2 minutes ago, Mogup said:

Very nice Chasing Tails .  I really like the fly.  I’m an old gurgler user and have had the chance to

sit down with Gartside once or twice. Question !  Is this a used fly that dinged a rock or is that bent

point meant to be there?

That is a standard point on a 92611. I ran out of 34007’s in size 4 so I had to go to my surf fishing bait hooks...

2 minutes ago, jamieofthenorth said:

Nice!!! Excellent detail for that size. Well done. 

Thanks Jaime ain’t easy !!!  The wings are from the upper cape of a Mearns Quail. I find that going from sz 18 to a sz 20 the use for me of feather wings increases in difficulty quite a bit. Things get a little too wispy . Not so much with parachutes and hair wings. 

4 hours ago, Chasing_Tails said:

That is a standard point on a 92611. I ran out of 34007’s in size 4 so I had to go to my surf fishing bait hooks...

Gartside use to use Mustad 34011 which I found for me  to be a little long in the shank.