Fly Tying
flytire

October Flies From The Vise

Scott,

I should have posted the fly pattern.  The tail is two colors of polarflash with the top layer folded over the body to create the top of the fly.  The body is Flat Pearl Diamond braid wrapped to form a minnow shaped body. Using mono thread, once the upper body polarflash is affixed, the thread is tied off.  Adhesive eyes are then placed at the head of the fly.  I use both thin and thick UV cured resins to finish the fly.  The throat is created with a bit of thick resin dyed red.  Dying small bits of resin is much cheaper than buying large quantities of pre-colored resin.   In fact you can make up a bit of dyed resin and it will keep for days even in an open container.  It cures with a UV light just like regular resin.  After curing the throat, thick resin is first applied to the top of the fly to seal the eyes, then the bottom, and gradually building it up to a uniform body.  Thin resin is used to fill in the inevitable irregularities that sometimes form over the braid.  I get all my resin from Amazon as it is far cheaper than the name brand fly resins.  All these resins dry perfectly clear and hard without residue.  After the body is complete, I coat all these with some Hard as Nails or Sally Hansen.

41GAQkwQrGL._AC_.jpg.f6f9841e01e6218af0a98d42845a3238.jpg

71j0n8TUNHL._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.2e761afab5ac17351a7a8c6f1117fe46.jpg816ujyCcWML._AC_SL1500_.thumb.jpg.f5cac47732181ec7ee34c0350f4d5256.jpg

Hares-Ear-Soft-Hackle-1080.jpg

Hares Ear Soft Hackle

Hook - Wet fly style

Thread - Black

Ribbing - Oval gold tinsel

Body - Hares ear dubbing or brush

Hackle - Hungarian partridge

HoloHare Hedgehog

50513036526_15bf7ba5a3_c.jpg

50513201487_25fce5ce3a_c.jpg

50512325048_05a510c14b_c.jpg

The Simi Seal made for an interesting effect and allowed for a bit of alliteration.  Winged it like Davie McPhail’s version, tying the deer hair in like a Sparkle Dun and folding it back. Hand knotted the pheasant tail legs in an attempt to save some money; it shows.

hook - WFC Model 11 #10
thread - Veevus 8/0 tan 
tag - Depth Ray fire orange/resin 
rib - medium tinsel opal 
body/head - Simi Seal holo gold/hare’s ear 
legs - pheasant tail (knotted) 
wing - deer hair

Regards,
Scott

An all-pheasant prince nymph.

Hook - #14
Thread - Black
Tail - Golden pheasant tippet
Ribbing - Gold wire
Body - Peacock sword
Thorax - Peacock herl
Wing - Amherst pheasant tippet
Legs - Ringneck pheasant feather (heart shaped?)
Head - Gold bead

pheasant prince.jpeg

Great flies everyone this month, good to see some old faces back and some new faces posting up...

These are little Letort Crickets. For the body dubbing I used some Nature's Spirit "Fine and Natural,", which is carded fleece, instead of my usual beaver or Wapsi superfine for dries. I really like the carded fleece. Dubs really, really well and gives some volume without going crazy. We'll wait and see if it floats... I didn't have any true black deer hair besides belly hair, so I used some dark dun for the collar and sometimes for the head, too. I found the belly hair too stiff on a size 14.

1683275688_LetortCricket14withBellyatHead.thumb.jpg.3b9f63876785f74f9e672971244afabb.jpg

1468893116_LetortCricket14withDarkDunHead.thumb.jpg.7ec75937e52c76a097fcd4474c8570f9.jpg

21 minutes ago, chugbug27 said:

Great flies everyone this month, good to see some old faces back and some new faces posting up...

These are little Letort Crickets. For the body dubbing I used some Nature's Spirit "Fine and Natural,", which is carded fleece, instead of my usual beaver or Wapsi superfine for dries. I really like the carded fleece. Dubs really, really well and gives some volume without going crazy. We'll wait and see if it floats... I didn't have any true black deer hair besides belly hair, so I used some dark dun for the collar and sometimes for the head, too. I found the belly hair too stiff on a size 14.

1683275688_LetortCricket14withBellyatHead.thumb.jpg.3b9f63876785f74f9e672971244afabb.jpg

1468893116_LetortCricket14withDarkDunHead.thumb.jpg.7ec75937e52c76a097fcd4474c8570f9.jpg

@chugbug27, both versions are quite nice

Nice Chugbug27 ! Who’s pattern was the Letort cricket ?  I know the tyer was from Pennsylvania.  Mariano ?

44 minutes ago, Poopdeck said:

Ed Shenk. Most flies with Letort in the name were created by him. 

I was going to guess George Letort. 😁

Pheasant-Tail-Cruncher-1080.jpg

Pheasant Tail Cruncher

Hook - Nymph/wet style
Thread - Black
Tail - Furnace hackle fibers
Rib - Fine gold wire
Abdomen - Pheasant tail fibers
Thorax - Peacock herl
Hackle - Furnace hackle (2 wraps)