Fly Tying
flytire

October Flies From The Vise

@Sandan for clarification I was a downstate boy. Worked in NYC most of my life but fished the Catskills. When I 23 

I knocked on Harry Darbee’s door with my best friend “Mr. Dennis Gonyon. The fishing musician.” in tow and when I mentioned that my mother’s side was from Cape Breton we were then treated to a bunch of stories of fishing the Margaree and of Lee Wulff’s exploits up in New Found land. It’s a visit we still talk about today.

55 minutes ago, Mogup said:

@Sandan for clarification I was a downstate boy. Worked in NYC most of my life but fished the Catskills. When I 23 

I knocked on Harry Darbee’s door with my best friend “Mr. Dennis Gonyon. The fishing musician.” in tow and when I mentioned that my mother’s side was from Cape Breton we were then treated to a bunch of stories of fishing the Margaree and of Lee Wulff’s exploits up in New Found land. It’s a visit we still talk about today.

very cool. For a downstate/city boy. 😁

@jaimeofthenorthwoods   Pattern recommended to me for Maine waters.  Fly consists of Grey squirrel dubbing and 2 brown wood Duck nreast feathers.  Wondering if you know the pattern ?

Nancy’s Prayer. Sz 14 Tiemco 100

F272ED7C-3BF2-4E08-9D0E-7D37B1D6F984.jpeg

Got a few black gurglers done tonight after the kids went to bed. The smolt blue/pearl crystal flash looks good with the black I thought. 6A56BB86-AE75-4710-8AF5-761EDB463CDE.thumb.jpeg.527595846e16de663bbd45fdc6f8fda8.jpeg

1 hour ago, Mogup said:

@jaimeofthenorthwoods   Pattern recommended to me for Maine waters.  Fly consists of Grey squirrel dubbing and 2 brown wood Duck nreast feathers.  Wondering if you know the pattern ?

Woody breast feathers for fan wings.  The lil white is what makes the white spots on the Drake’s breast.   Woody flanks and Gadwall breasts for fan wings too.

AF5AA7EC-3265-4AA0-9EE8-30EB2857CFB7.png

5A471BE3-AC4C-4C04-A9D7-AE9035EE5517.png

A16F31FD-EC75-4D95-BE10-9E1674BD4C56.png

1CD9DBCB-39E4-43B2-A963-6856E24A9646.png

Yes denduke I was aware that the breast feather were great for fanwings.  I’m not very practiced in that method and yours look great. Really very nice.

Apparently that fly is great for the brown caddis hatch up in Maine.  It’s really a simple and quick tie. I should have used more

dubbing over the wing base as the fly is suppose to  look pretty buggy and not clean. First try off a video.

65604BD1-237A-45B4-A8C4-9D92BE372C5C.jpeg

Red Assed Muddled Hedgehog

50543901942_df78665e71_c.jpg

50543901967_7ae80dbba7_c.jpg

50543763921_6419160013_c.jpg

hook - WFC Model 6 #8
thread - Veevus 8/0 black
tag - Depth Ray fire orange
body - dubbing olive/FTD Starburst olive
wing(s) - deer hair dyed olive
shoulder - pheasant rump dyed olive 
collar/head - deer hair dyed olive

Regards,
Scott

11 hours ago, Mogup said:

F272ED7C-3BF2-4E08-9D0E-7D37B1D6F984.jpeg

Mogup,

Though you might like to read the history and trying instructions of the "Nancy's Prayer"

http://invictaflies.tripod.com/id220.htm

Michael

Thanks Michael I have some work to do. I heard it’s a very effective fly. Thanks for the above. Helpful to see.