Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SalarMan

Dewdrop

Well, I haven't been doing any tying, or not much anyway so I thought I'd post something from the past...again to keep this forum going. The current fly in the vise is one of those "Flag Flies" I tie, and it is by request from a long time friend or I wouldn't be doing another one at the moment. When Art gets the bill he may regret his request - HA HA HA 😁

This pattern, the Dewdrop, is from a couple of years ago, and to be honest I always liked this interpretation of the pattern. I've seen other variations, but this one is what was in my mind and I went with it at the time and in looking back...no regrets.

167150510_DSC_0029(2).thumb.JPG.6793d1eac22a80928ec2e0472d0cf523.JPG

Nice fly Salarman

Looks like you have JC, Red Ruffled Fruitcrow Crow and Chatterer for cheeks.  Are they subs?  If so what is the RRFC?

Doug

Doug -

The JC is obviously the real thing since there is no adequate sub I'm aware of.

The RRFC (Red Indian Crow) is John McLain's Granadensis sub on Ringneck Pheasant feathers and the Chatterer sub is also John's work on Penguin feathers. His stuff at http://www.feathersmc.com is the best dye job in the business!! I have a very small cache of the real thing, but for the most part it is a little rich for my blood.

George

WOW!  The RRFC pheasant sub looks great!  I'm an avid pheasant hunter and for the past 10 years have been savung the white neck ring feathers.  I've tried dying them once before with a tchhnique I found in one of my books ( possibly Radencich rings a bell) but not to that degree of success.  I'll have to try again this winter.  Thanks, now I know what they can look like

Doug

Doug-

I've attached a series of photos that will hopefully will give you a look at what the finished product looks like when trying to be as realistic as possible with this particular sub. There is the feather, the tool and the feather in place on a Silver Jock Scott.

GeorgeDSC_0004_(2).thumb.JPG.48c40b7f7cd305f33fee188070e7667e.JPG1005717153_DSC_0002(2).thumb.JPG.f84513f9572b7a8d172a5a65e4d65a5d.JPG1233274455_DSC_0012(2).thumb.JPG.63ecdcc27403c2711f57e77456a7930f.JPG940255339_DSC_0002(2).JPG.f8bd00359ec5f2c502df15c19b42d2b4.JPG